Dx Supply, output adjustable, stabilized power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uncle Carlos,

Are those vertically mounted resistors of 2watter rating?..and what is the rating of BZV55-C12 zener, I have been consulting datasheets but it seems it was of SMD type.:confused:

(...)

any 12V 1/2W Zener like 1N4742A will do and for the resistors I guess 1/4 or 1/2W will suffice!

So Juan, how is the process of ordering the PSU pcbs?

All the best,
bruno

For now to be honest ordering the boards leave me almust broke I order the boards from a China factory and the accept PayPal so take make really easy for me to order the boards, I communicate with Vivian Wong I let her know the way I want the boards after the details are completed I send her the gerber files then they checked for any error of missing file, then she send me an e-mail confirmation with the total with shipping together but they always charge 80 dollars for test the board before the boards leave the factory, and after a 2 or 3 weeks I get the boards.

Regards
Juan

Let me explain you two reason why is like that dear carcass, Carlos already have mister Zimmer to take care of the Dx Super A in Brazil, I take care of the other places, the last reason is like that because we don't give the gerbers away for security reason to avoid the "chingilings" to steel this new design, plus I and Carlos we decided this way to avoid "piracy" I'm sorry that I can not supply more for now but the gerbers are in safe place and I will order a bigger quantities in the future, I hope you understand why is like this dear friend. ;)

Regards
Juan

Attachments

• Ordnance_Corps_Regimental_Crest.jpg
    Ordnance_Corps_Regimental_Crest.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 874
  • unitcrest.png
    unitcrest.png
    515 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
I do think we need someone to order pcboards.... mainly Juan

But we need someone to offer these supplies for the good of our comunitty.

Here you have a description, in portuguese, about this supply...some guys are able to understand portuguese.... i do think i have made something in english...search Carlos Mergulhão youtube channel and subscribe please...more subscription attract more guys to watch...and more guys watching means more guys building...more guys building i will be much more happy.

I do think there are videos about this supply in English too.

Fonte Ampex Dx Supply - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

I guess you misunderstand me Juan, I was only suggesting that "we" the buyers share the costs "before" you order, as in a normal GB, not to share the gerbers or anything, again, just the costs, you make a list of people interested to buy (in a google spreadsheet for instance) to find out how many people are interested and ultimately how many should you order, this is valid for Dx Supply and Dx Super A as well... all with Carlos approval of course!!!

Thanks again to both of you!

(ps the reason my super A is stalled is the same reason you didn't ordered the boards yet...€€€, $$$, £££ :) :) :) )

@wiljj78,

Can I ask a favor from you and include in your new lay-out a version to accomodate Vishay 63v 4,700uf (low profile) they are about the same footprint of a 50v 10,000uf ecaps. I plan to use 2 pairs in parallel as the main filter caps and still use the same type of caps for the smoothing capacitors. My PC failed last Sunday and I can't do CAD, this may take a while..it was a hard disk failure :bawling:

Thanks!

P.S. I hope Juan will be kind enough to draft another lay-out :)

Attachments

• vishay_caps.jpg
    vishay_caps.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 799
Use the layout Bruno Carcass made...but i have not build, so, not tested

Do it under your own risk.

Usually we do not have layout problems in DC to DC regulators....no oscilations happens there..so, the layout is not critical, only large tracks were you have large currents are needed.

I will not ask Juan to increase because i have asked him to decrease the pcboard size...so...he already have worked twice, first he made a version that was giant, alike a Moby Dick married with a Hinderburg ballon...then i asked him to reduce even if he needed to make some sacrifices related the capacitance..and he did.

No way to ask him to produce another layout, also because this one was tested, was built and approved..... this is now something from the past.... work done....made.

Bruno from Portugal is also asking this because he has huge red condensers he wants to use...then you should ask him to test his board first and then it is up to you to use it...there's no obligation to use Juan pcboards, people can do by themselves, despite the ones made by Juan are official pcboards, tested units, i have build and asked Juan to do the same.

After some tests we could figure out that a single regulator would not be good enougth to powerholics...people that may want to use 2 ohms and to push the amplifier to the limit.... a single regulator cannot do that...so, the idea is to use two regulators, one to each channel, and to do that they must be small or no way to find room inside a standard sized enclosure.

If you read the text about power, the one i have commented these power details, you gonna see that one Dx Supply will be good for 4 ohms operation and two channels..but no good for 2 ohms operation... forcing the guy to build a second regulator power supply.

Juan is following what is happening and said will do if i order him to do... i will not do that.... first because he is not my employee, he is someone that helps, and for free... second because i have already asked him to reduce the pcboard reducing condenser diameter...so.... no more room to make changes.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Juan have made a first layout that was giant...i said no

And i have asked him to reduce...maybe he want to share that first layout that may fit your needs (it is possible)

So, it is up to Juan to offer, you should go to him and ask him if he want to share.

I do not mind..but as the big one is not official, i would like you to contact him by email not to have the huge one posted here.

vargasmongo@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Uncle Carlos,

I fully understand your standpoint, I do not meant to create a different version of the PSU nor question the efficiency of your design, I am a hobbyist, by profession I do paperworks in the office and not solve complex formulas whatever they call it...:D), I was only looking for other possibilities to use what available parts I presently had. I can do a lay-out of my own preference but my desktop at home gave up.:bawling: The request I had posted in this thread was a “personal favor” and not meant for everybody. There is no need for Juan to do another lay-out just for my personal use nevertheless, if a new lay-out appears in response to my personal favor it will be deemed unofficial and will be used in entirety at the DIYers expense (RISKs included!:nownow:).

Sorry ‘bout that I should have sent a personal mail to the person concerned.

Thank you for posting Juan’s email add.

Regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.