Dx Supply, output adjustable, stabilized power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Meanman,
I wonder if you are misunderstanding what a PSU can do and what you the Builder requires it to do?

One can build a simple transformer + rectifier + smoothing capacitors dual polarity supply. One chooses the transformer voltage and power rating to suit the loading.

One can add on a capacitance multiplier to that simple PSU. This has the effect of reducing /attenuating the mains ripple in return for delivering a slightly lower voltage.
One can choose a cap multiplier that outputs a (nearly) fixed proportion of the input voltage, 90% to 95% are typical.
Alternatively one can omit the proportioning resistor and the output then becomes roughly the input voltage less a drop through the main pass device.
For both types the transformer voltage needs to be chosen to be slightly higher than for the simple PSU
I prefer the first style which outputs the fixed proportion.
In my view the second style is not a true cap multiplier. Its an EF controlled output from the supply rail, i.e. a regulated PSU without a fixed voltage reference.

Finally one can build a regulated PSU where the regulator is added to the simple PSU, or can be added to the simple PSU plus cap multiplier.
This outputs a nearly fixed voltage irrespective of the input voltage, provided the input is whithin it's operational range. Again one requires a higher voltage transformer than any of the earlier alternatives.

The Builder has to choose what he/she wants:
a.) regulated supply
b.) cap multiplier style
c.) Simple PSU.

You choose.

Last edited:
Many people say conventional PSU(rectifier-smooting caps) sound the best and enough µF delivers enough back-up for bass peaks.I want to use it from 35Vdc to 64Vdc.The plan is use one toroid and use the regulator for different kind of amps.You could say I need an universal PSU useable for different rail voltages.
What I need is a regulated PSU adjustable from 30Vdc to max 90Vdc but with an certain amount of voltage drop so not a tight regulated one.

Last edited:
Yes....this kind of power supply is better for sound

I am using because the idea is to reduce the cost of a lot of eletrolytic capacitors into my Dx Super A that can drive even 2 ohms and can put out more than 300 watts RMS...this way the size of capacitors, the capacitance, should be giant...i had the need of electronic filtering to be rid of the noise.

That's the reason why i am using Dx Supply..also for tests in Class A it is excellent as uses the capacitance multiplier effect too.

But i agree...the decay when you listen with standard supply with losses of voltage is much better.

I am uploading video to you...soon i will put the link in this thread.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Meanman.jpg
    Meanman.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 565
Here you have some comments more dear Meanman

Observe the power supply, alone and by itself, has a voltage drop of 10 percent when you drain 10 amperes aprox. and 1000 watts total.

The real thing is that your power supply will also drop it's voltage..so, in the real world you gonna have more than 10 percent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCZKW_GYMC0

If decide for better regulation then install the zener diodes...if not happy, then return resistors to the original value.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.