Is this acceptable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Every laptop adapter I have used has had the barrel (usually "minus") connected to earth through the ground pin on the AC plug. This would make it impossible to easily series them.

Most likely the secondary of the SMPS is indeed isolated, and you could just not connect the ground pin, but it's one of those "if you have to ask, you shouldn't try" kind of things.

So. The short answer is "No."

Power Supply Question

Thanks for the previous answers.

I've located two 24 Vdc power supplies which are likely to support a series connection. These are inexpensive SMPS, rated at about 2A each, and are a open frame rather than wall wart style case with barrier strips instead of barrel connectors.

However, they are described as "constant voltage, LED power supply". How is that different than a "DC power supply"?

I do need constant voltage rather than constant current. Application is for a small Class A headphone amp.

Also, for Class A, current load presented to the power supply should be constant, therefore step load response should not be a major concern, correct?

Thanks and regards,

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.