Car Amp Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from the reviews section:
Customer Reviews
3.3 out of 5 stars
(14)
3.3 out of 5 stars
5 star . . 6
4 star . . 2
3 star . . 0
2 star . . 2
1 star . . 4
See all 14 customer reviews
“ I would not recommend this book for the beginner, but for the experienced tech it does offer some unique thoughts. ” James R. Nelson | 3 reviewers made a similar statement
“ It contains too many errors, some of which are fundamental. ” Ville Mattila | 1 reviewer made a similar statement
“ If you are looking for information to assist in the design of high power smps then look else where, this book will not help you. ” Charles Edward Denton | 1 reviewer made a similar statement
not for the beginner
too many errors, some fundamental
look elsewhere

Last edited:
Class D amps are much more complex that the more usual B/AB ones, and on that much power things get even more complicated, from what i've seen i doubt verry much that you will be able to do it, so for your own sake i strongly suggest to buy an off the shelf one, cus without serious help as i see it this topik could stay open a long time without any possitive results.

Please do not take any offence by it, that i not my intention, it's just that you insist with switching electronics and at insane powers without knowing even the basics, that is not the way to go, go with the small stuff, small power PSU's until you get the know how on swithcing and then small calss D amps, and after that you can think of the big stuff, cus as they say you cannot learn how to run before you learn how to walk...

Class D amps are much more complex that the more usual B/AB ones, and on that much power things get even more complicated, from what i've seen i doubt verry much that you will be able to do it, so for your own sake i strongly suggest to buy an off the shelf one, cus without serious help as i see it this topik could stay open a long time without any possitive results.

Please do not take any offence by it, that i not my intention, it's just that you insist with switching electronics and at insane powers without knowing even the basics, that is not the way to go, go with the small stuff, small power PSU's until you get the know how on swithcing and then small calss D amps, and after that you can think of the big stuff, cus as they say you cannot learn how to run before you learn how to walk...
I agree the cheapest way for that big an amp in car stereo is just buy it . The cost of the 250 amp alternators and the multi runs of 4/0 cable will cost a lot also.

advice received well. however, still insist on a good schematic on a bridged rms power around 1400 rms. what is the most basic audio circuit you can think off for the audio section? can anyone lay it out like 1/2/3. it receives the rca and then uses power to add power to such rca signal out to the speaker turminals?

off the subject. if given two boards (each with it's own power supply) rated at 140 rms bridged at (believe 1 ohm). can you combine the speaker terminals of both to have 280 rms? would you need a volt meter to adjust gains to same power?

need to power a 4 ohm 250rms sub

You insist on asking for a bridge amp at that power but you do not seam to understand 2 things ( amongst others ):
1.Almost any audio power amplifier can be bridged, worst case scenario you need a phase shifter;
2.Bridge config puts much stress upon the power devices, enormous at over 1kW of power and more so in low impedance speakers, you need a real hefty cooling system;

So if that much power is mandatory on your car ( although you would need ear plugs to avoid loosing your hearing altogether ), that i would suggest sticking with single ended power amplifiers, be they class B or D ( although D is far more effycient but much more complex ), i would still suggest Class B for it's simplicity, and you really should start with lower power so you wount need to change the alternator, maybe even the battery, and you wount need extreeme cables for the power lines.

just finished 1st semester of electronics in college. all we did was learn basic DC circuits and how to calculate total resistance/voltage/current/etc

Dude, WTF??? First tell us how a Bipolar Transistor or a MOSFET works! Then learn how oscillating a high frequency into a transformer can be used to step-up a voltage, then rectify it through diodes to get a DC voltage from that. Then feed this high DC voltage into your amplifier circuit! If this sounds too complicated, then read on...............

Try designing a 100W SMPS first, and actually learn how the circuit works. You can't get what you want by simply getting a schematic!!! Once you get the schematic, you still have to build the thing and get it working!

You are asking these folks to help you design something that you don't understand how it even works!!! Many of these folks here have YEARS AND YEARS of experience with electronics, and you barely get Ohms Law!!!

Electronics education and school is a joke, hence the word BASIC, being that MOST of actual electronics knowledge is self learned by reading, research, trial and error and experience. Not just going over some repetitive lessons to complete the teachers payroll. Ask your teacher to explain how a transistor works, and see how much they really know, or are willing to teach you!!! Show THIS post to your teacher!!!!

You are asking for a SIMPLE way to build a high power SMPS, there is NO SUCH THING AS SIMPLE!!!

Last edited:
what is the most basic audio circuit you can think off for the audio section? can anyone lay it out like 1/2/3. it receives the rca and then uses power to add power to such rca signal out to the speaker turminals?

Sure..........EASY

If you can get this circuit to work, then you can move up to bigger amp circuits.

Circuit has approx gain of 10. RCA goes to input, speaker on output.

Attachments

• simpleamp10G.JPG
    simpleamp10G.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I have been done some job with SMPS but mostly with PC power supplies, my friend brought me SSL EV5000D an 5000 watt car amp wich has been burned. there were 16 IRFZ44N mosfets in the supply, 8 of them were dead. I replaced them but the new ones burned when I connected it to the battery. Then I found some information about the amp. they told that wire gauge has to be very thick but when I replaced the mosfets and tried again they burned again. I have no experience with car amp PSU. Any ideas where to look for the problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.