Is this going to be adequate: MKP Power Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah thought so. Basically 50 uF, valve rectifier, 220 uF to OT, first stage regulated. The Bevois Valley. It's taking sometime :). So yes, smoothing cap. I have a good deal on some MKP caps, 1000v, but the postage will kill me. These look cheap. Pls don't sugest electrolytics, I have considered them and I am eating my options :)

motor start are rated for short term voltage loading.

I have no idea if there is a de-rating that can be applied for continuous duty.

Check the manufacturer's datasheet for advice on changing from AC voltage rating to continuous DC voltage rating.
They are unlikely to state Vdc rating = 1.4* Vac rating

Last edited:
Why would you use a motor start capacitor (bipolar electrolytic) if a conventional electrolytic capacitor is unsuitable? 250V motor run capacitors often have a 600VDC rating, insulation fatigues under cyclic potentials making the AC rating considerably less than the DC rating. A 50uF 250VAC motor run capacitor is about the same size as a 1950's vintage 50uF 400V electrolytic.

The link clearly states polypropylene and MKP.
The pic shows MKP.

You really need to get hold of the manufacturer's datasheet and find what the continuous DC rating is for this capacitor.

BTW, the peak voltage of maximum DC + half the ripple, is the maximum voltage that the capacitor must withstand.

Looking at the ad it is clearly marked MKP but the compact size and referring to a start capacitor makes me wonder also the package is more like a motor start capacitor than a run capacitor it even has the roll crimp top typical of an electrolytic capacitor. Most polyester or polypropylene capacitors have plastic cases and epoxy end closures with either flying leads or push on terminals.
I would stay away from this without proper documentation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.