modifying number of turns on trafo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
good day to everyone.herewith is the schematic of the project ive done.
everything is good until now.
i just want to ask if is it possible to add turns on the secondary of the trafo.i used ei-33 trafo from old atx psu.i want to add turn up to let say 50+v.am i going to change the irfz44 or the tl494?
need some experts regarding this.i just want to try it but parts of that project are hard to find here in my place.i ordered them from ebay so i want to ask first to avoid expensive mistakes.:D
tia

Attachments

• schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 133
If you are just raising the output voltage (and lowering output current in proportion) I don't think you need to change anything. Except for output diode PIV if required.

If you are raising the output voltage and output power then you may have to change the transformer, the FETs, the Fet's drive.

But I'm not sure why you would need to change the 494.

“i want to add turn up to let say 50+v"

After 30V you need to be a little more careful with isolation of the primary and secondary. As a minimum use 3 wraps of a high temperature high voltage tape between the 2 winding’s, and also each secondary. You can add more secondary turns, if you have room for them? What is the winding width of your bobbin? I will try to run some numbers.

The primary side is OK with the TL494 and the irfz44 fet’s.

Yes u can wind more on the secondary. More windings may give you more ringing. As long as the MOSFETs can handle the voltage spikes, no prob with them. But increasing the voltage by 20% may also increase the current output and thus the power? Will the devices and transformer handle that?

After 30V you need to be a little more careful with isolation of the primary and secondary. As a minimum use 3 wraps of a high temperature high voltage tape between the 2 winding’s, and also each secondary. You can add more secondary turns, if you have room for them? What is the winding width of your bobbin? I will try to run some numbers.

30V? I've done flyback transformers up to 350V without any tape at all for experimentation. I dunno how high a voltage transformer wire handles, but it surely is >30V. If you have high leakeage inductance it may be good to try without tape and interleave as much as possible. If you have too much leakeage capacitance tape between layers will help. It's all trade offs and experimentation is neccesary to find the optimum combination.

good day to everyone.herewith is the schematic of the project ive done.
everything is good until now.
i just want to ask if is it possible to add turns on the secondary of the trafo.i used ei-33 trafo from old atx psu.i want to add turn up to let say 50+v.am i going to change the irfz44 or the tl494?
need some experts regarding this.i just want to try it but parts of that project are hard to find here in my place.i ordered them from ebay so i want to ask first to avoid expensive mistakes.:D
tia

To produce 50V You need 17 windings in each secondary. (Will give 48V)
Remember that the bobbin used limits the power, so even if You have more voltage on the secondary, You will get less Amps.

yup i have isolated the primary and secondary on this 30v using tape.unfortunately im on my work and i don't have my project here with me as of now so i can't measure the width of my bobbin.:p
i'll try to tell you asap and upload the pix of my project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.