Power transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have an unknown transformer question. As you can see, the secondary is made up of two yellow, two orange, two red and one black. There is continuity between orange, red and black, not yellow. Voltage readings are:
Yellow - 15v
Orange - 56v
Red - 96v
Assuming the black wire is a center tap, I get ~26v on each orange and ~46v on each red. So, what is the black wire?

Tom

Attachments

• Transformer.jpg
    Transformer.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 159
Assuming the black wire is a center tap, I get ~26v on each orange and ~46v on each red. So, what is the black wire?
If you are using a meter with high input resistance you are probably measuring leakage between the windings. I suggest you put a 10K Ohm resistor across the meter probes to shunt away the miniscule leakage currents, and then measure again from black to each of the other secondary wires. If the reading is zero the black is probably an electrostatic shield that should be grounded.

Glenn, I tried the 10k resistor and it's still the same thing. The black seems to be common to both the red and orange wires.
OK, it seems one of the windings is red - orange - black - orange - red. ie. 46 Volts aside of the CT, with taps at 26 Volts. From either red, do you read ~20 Volts to one orange and ~72 Volts to the other orange?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Yes, that's exactly what I get when I measure from any red to the orange wires. I think it may have come out of one of those all-in-one integrated amp things. So, no matter which color I end up using, (red or orange), I should treat the black as a center tap?

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly what I get when I measure from any red to the orange wires. I think it may have come out of one of those all-in-one integrated amp things. So, no matter which color I end up using, (red or orange), I should treat the black as a center tap?
Good. Yes, black is CT. Here is an example of generating two different positive DC supplies. Overlay the same design with reversed diodes to add negative supplies, relative to the CT.

Attachments

• sch1.jpg
    sch1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 119
I think it may have come out of one of those all-in-one integrated amp things.

You're on the right track here, 1980s-early 90s with a cd player on the bottom and record player ontop if I remember correctly.

Chip amp.

These transformers I usually throw away because their windings are really just 'odd', but good luck finding a nice chip amp and cd transport project to put it to good use on.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.