Bybee Music Rails Problem - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 07:17 PM   #51
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

So do competent regulators. Jack's measurements and listening tests were pretty clear-cut; for lowest noise, this isn't even close to the answer.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #52
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert

You really do like to have the last word don't you (pot kettle):-). However have you ever studied the characteristics of a Jung super regulator or variations thereof? If you have you will know that they are very twitchy regarding output capacitors, anything with too low an ESR asks for oscillation.
Any way my point is solely that the Bybee should not be condemned by this fact alone.
who said it was that alone?

yes, yes I do haha... but I dont think that really applies in this post, i'm simply replying.

I've used all manner of regulators including the Jung, numbers of wide bandwidth regulators/amplifiers don't enjoy driving capacitance, but there is enough info to make a proper decision, mostly because youve probably built it yourself.

I would not agree with a one size fits all Jung reg sold as an upgrade for circuits that are not going to suit it either and I have recommended builders here to avoid putting caps on the output. by itself its not a big deal, but given the broad sweeping recommendations they make for using it....thats a bit more problematic

the Jung reg has the advantage of being extremely high performance to make up for it, you might consider modifying your build to accommodate it, a trait not shared by this device.....

Quote:
Secondly, I agree fig 8 has an extremely wide loop area but it is an illustration of a high voltage application, not particularly likely to be used in a DAC but not at all atypical of tube circuits or even power amps where one often sees filter caps many centimetres from the output devices and equally remote from a ground point. Not that I condone such practices of course!
tube 'IV' stages are pretty popular here from what i've seen, but I take your meaning.

tubes are pretty darn wide bandwidth too are they not? even moreso due to often being used with low feedback.

but yes lets not go there... I sense we agree tubes are pretty alien to me, but I have witnessed and....erm.. wondered about such circuits...

Last edited by qusp; 16th November 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
However, they are inherently very quiet, much quieter than most lab supplies.
Ah, that isn't saying much. My Aglient triple supplies are useless for low noise work.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:57 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

You know Scott, if you had a better attitude about other designers, I would introduce you to the designer of the Bybee Music Rail. He and I are now working on a power amp project together. He has more education and experience than just about anyone I know. (It is not Jack Bybee)
Old 17th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #55
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just curious, what frequency range do Bybee music rails work at for curring noise, just curious...as other active noise reduction I have seen used on an number of systems worked at quite high frequencies, for the lower frequecies big inductors seemed best.
An example of active noise suppression device:
http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/...r/ds_qpi3L.pdf
Old 17th November 2012, 08:42 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default Fantastic Service

Fantastic Service from the Bybee labs. I can send them back and are able to choose between refund or new ones.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:36 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Marce, they cover a fairly large range, from very low, (but not DC) to many thousands of Hz. They are: relatively expensive, because they have to be locally made in batches. IF a custom IC could be produced, they would be cheaper to produce.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:45 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Basic idea behind Music Rail. Note Fig. 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bybee music.jpg (174.0 KB, 144 views)
Old 17th November 2012, 10:54 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Marce, they cover a fairly large range, from very low, (but not DC) to many thousands of Hz. They are: relatively expensive, because they have to be locally made in batches. IF a custom IC could be produced, they would be cheaper to produce.
I take that would require up front cost not justified by the number sold in this market ? Glad to see you are doing well the last time we meet face to face was when I ran it to you and Saul Marantz at CES .
Old 18th November 2012, 12:02 AM   #60
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

RobertF, please learn to use the quote function properly. I have fixed a number of your posts. If you need help, shoot me a PM. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!