Simple 12v adjustable help - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 04:41 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The circuit is like this.
Change the transistor according to the load current required. May be heatsinked also.

Add a small capacitor(optional) from base to negative.

Gajanan Phadte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vary DC.JPG (12.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by gmphadte; 16th November 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 04:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Scale the transistor for the current required and add a capacitor(optional) from base to negative.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just came across this circuit here (scroll down to Simple Adjustable Voltage Source):

Telephone In-Use Relay, LM317 Regulators, Lithium Charger

And this sounds perfect

Now my questions are, how many amps could this simple npn pnp circuit provide? Also just how much heat will it produce?

I only have the small clip on heatsinks that I can put on it although I could possible place it on the larger heatsink in the power supply and possibly even next to the slow running 80mm intake fan if needed?

I think I will go this route as it's simple and cheap just need to know how many amps I can get in this circuit and how well I need to cool it

If possible I would like to be able to supply up to 5a so if different parts are needed in this same circuit please do let me know although I could live with 2a output
Old 19th November 2012, 05:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Power dissipation across the MJE2955 should not exceed its rating. Not exceeding the junction temperature of the device is important.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 19th November 2012, 10:55 AM   #15
MarianB is offline MarianB  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarianB
I never use theese so called voltage regulators, they have no tollerance what so ever to the variations of the imput voltage cus they have no stable Vreff, so any change in the voltage at it's imput translates in a similar change at the output, that is no regulator, just a worthless follower.

The simplest way you can get a voltage regulator is with LM317 but it needs that minimum voltage difference to work, another way would be with a fixed Vref, let say a 5,1V zenner and an error amplifier, transistor differencial or OA, they have the advantage of less voltage drop across them and a verry fine voltage setting but they are sort of more complex. If you are interested i can provide a schematic that u can use.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianB View Post
I never use theese so called voltage regulators, they have no tollerance what so ever to the variations of the imput voltage cus they have no stable Vreff, so any change in the voltage at it's imput translates in a similar change at the output, that is no regulator, just a worthless follower.

The simplest way you can get a voltage regulator is with LM317 but it needs that minimum voltage difference to work, another way would be with a fixed Vref, let say a 5,1V zenner and an error amplifier, transistor differencial or OA, they have the advantage of less voltage drop across them and a verry fine voltage setting but they are sort of more complex. If you are interested i can provide a schematic that u can use.
As ive said before my input is from a pc power supply's 12v so the 12v is extremely regulated already and shouldn't fluctuate at all unless I put maybe 30A on it, using a simple circuit and only pulling 5a it shouldn't fluctuate, maybe .1 of a volt max

I will go with the simple circuit I posted above and will share my results when its all up and running
Old 20th November 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstears View Post
As ive said before my input is from a pc power supply's 12v so the 12v is extremely regulated...
Actually the outputs of a ATX power supply are well regulated only when they are equally charged, that is the 2 main outputs, +5 and +12V, they both need the same load current for theyr voltages to be stable. You cand try it yourself, charge the 5v with 5 amps and 12V with 1 amp, you will see what i mean.
Old 21st November 2012, 06:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianB View Post

U have to read the posts properly. They r not voltage regulators at all. It is a voltage varying circuit connected to a regulated supply.

Enjoy

Gajanan Phadte
Old 21st November 2012, 08:24 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post
U have to read the posts properly...
Do i? i sayd so called voltage regulators, ofcourse i know what they are, and getting stuck on sematics helps nowone, from my point of view they remain simple followers, worthless in voltage regulation/setting/variating, or anything else you wanna call it. And as i sayd the outputs on a ATX supply is only well regulated on some conditions so i would not use this for anything, there are other ways much more stable and efficient.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:44 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

You surely need to read more. Start with the datasheet of 317.

Enjoy

Hide this!Advertise here!