Bipolar capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gooday all,
Can someone plse give some advice. I need a 22uf 35Vbipolar capacitor which I do not have on hand. Can I take two 47 uf 35V electrolytic capacitors and wire them back to back, negative to negative to achieve a 22uf bipolar ?

Regards
Jan

Yes that's no problem , double the voltage , halve the capacity and bipolar when connected + to + or - To - .

Cheers ,

Rens

bipolar caps

Thanks for all the reply's,
The caps are being used on the input of Quasi's speaker protect circuit.
Regards
Jan
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

Oops, just saw the original bipolars are 63v and not 35v, will get some tomorrow.
Cheers Jan
This is an old design, I think I used it about 30 years ago. Under a DC fault condition the voltage rating on the left capacitor needs to be at least half the amplifier output stage power supply. The right capacitor can be a low voltage rating, as it will only ever see about + / - 0.6V, which is the Vbe of Q1 or Q3. It is preferred to use bipolars rather than back-to-back polarized electrolytics as in normal operation the voltage across these is very low (a tiny fraction of a volt) and won't provide much polarization to keep them well formed.

............ just saw the original bipolars are 63v and not 35v, will get some tomorrow..............
look at the resistors.
Think about what you see.
They form a resistor ladder.
Amp output to 33k to 33k to 33k to Spkr Ground.
At the amp output you will have Vpk
After the first 33k the voltage will eventually rise to Vpk * [33k+33k] / [33k+33k+33k] = Vpk*2/3
After the second 33k the voltage will eventually rise to Vpk * 33k / [33k+33k+33k] =Vpk/3

Why would you need 35V, or 50V, or 63V capacitors?

In fault conditions where the amp output could be as high as one or other supply rail then Vpk ~ Vsupply.
The first cap must have a rating of >=2/3 of Vrail to survive worst case conditions.

BTW.
that circuit has been discussed and is not worth building. It does not work effectively. There are many that perform better.

Last edited:
DC detect speaker protection

Thanks for the reply's and info to all,
Andrew, I have build them and they seem to work fine on + 2V/ -2V on the detect input. Can you plse recommend a better circuit that is simple to build as well. I don't want something like a crowbar , just something better that uses relay's as well.

Regards
Jan

I have used that same circuit for speaker DC protection many times, and it worked just fine every time, in stead of bipolar caps i used 47u polarised in series with negative pin as common, and i have adaped it for 12v power source, the circuit is sensitive enough and never has it failed me, and believe me when i say sometimes it would have been a disaster if it would have failed, but it did not, so i recomend it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.