SMPS power up problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
post the current waveforms used to detect oc.

I cant, I dont have an isolation transformer. I can only look at the secondary safely.

I have got a bit further.
If I decrease the pulse width to the primary I find I can then decrease the gap between the pulses to almost meeting up.

I might be fooling myself a bit coz i am using a lamp in series with my setup to limit current.

Last edited:
Only one channel works, I got the scope very cheap.

Yes the transformer is definitely saturating hence the over current problems.
I am using an etd34 with 2mm gapped core.
If I output just a short pulse to the mosfet it works fine.
The output looks OK now after I snubbered the primary.
I have tested the output upto 500mA, I am waiting for high power resistors to arrive so I can test higher currents.

I am trying to get around 5 amps at 40 volts out.
Input is 240VAC mains. I am running the PIC at 50KHz with 50% duty cycle.
I am using an ETD54 with n97 core, 50 turns primary and 13 turns secondary.

I am now running the PIC mosfet driver at 500KHz so there is a 2uS pulse to the mosfet. Anything longer causes an overcurrent trip.
I am now using an ETD34 with a 2mm gapped core.
I am managing to get 2amps at 30 volts out at the moment, but I would like to get more.
The transformer is getting quite warm which is a bit of a worry but I have read SMPS transformers often do.

Not that I know much about SMPS design (something i'd like to change at some point), but it seems like you've managed to solve the original problems. And even though there haven't been that many contributions you've still kept us informed with the process of how you figured it all out, which is rather helpful. What voltage/current will this thing now work at/provide?

Now that you've solved the apparent problems, would you say that the transformer is running cooler then it was before, or does it just run hot? And have you measured the efficiency of the thing?

It is still running hot. I have also found the transformer to be very noisy on full power.
Its not quite there yet, I still have a bit of work to do.

Latest update.

I tidied up the design and ordered some new pcb's.
They arrived and I built one up.
I had problems previously with the transformer whistling so I wrapped the turns tighter this time then applied lacquer to hold the turns together.
Fired up the new pcb and it still whistles like mad !
I had another look at my software and it looks at the voltage feedback and if a pulse is required it gives a full power pulse. The gap between these was a bout 5KHz hence the whistling.
I tried adding a very short pulse to the transformer if a large pulse wasn't needed and the transformer suddenly went very quiet.
I am getting 50 volts and 3 amps which was my target so happy now.

I should have added I went back to an ETD54 transformer. I couldn't source any gapped cores so I added 1mm spacers to the core.

Last edited:
I did a full test of my SMPS with different loads tonight and the whistling is there again.

So I have altered the software to measure how long between feedback pulses and output a pulse proportional to the current required.
While this hasn't cured the whistling it has spread the whistling spectrum a bit so it isn't so loud.

The L6565 outputs pulses depending on the current taken by the transformer primary and so doesn't have this problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.