lm338 regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys... Need a little help, first i didnt know where to put the thread because is not the power for amp it just a testing power supply...

Im going to use lm338k, I have 2x12V 120VA transformer, is good for 10A+. Would love to have 2xlm338k parallel, but i need some easy circuit because I will do this p2p and I dont wont to have a lot components...

I found this, but it uses one lm338k, I asked a friend could i put a two in parallel, he said that this circuit would not work...

Power Supply

Thanks for your help. :)

120VA 12+12Vac is a 5Aac transformer.
When feeding a capacitor input filter the continuous output DC current (per winding) is ~ 2.5Adc, NOT 10Adc.

If your load requires a continuous steady current then I'd suggest you limit your continuous DC current to ~ 50% of the maximum rating. i.e. ~1.3Adc continuous.

If your load has a variable current demand and the average demand is <~10% of the maximum, then the transient current demand can be considerably greater than 2.5Apk. The rectifier and capacitors must be rated to meet this peak demand.

you must derate the the transformer using the manufacturers derating information when feeding a capacitor input filter.

That derating results in approximately half the continuous AC current value being available as a continuous DC rating.

For two parallel windings, the derated DC current is 5Adc continuous.

Maybe it is a 2x12V, 2x120VA transformer?
Derating is still necessary. The reservoir capacitor will charge to the peak of the AC secondary, ~16V or ~33V. With this increase in voltage over the nominal RMS value, the current must decrease. Power out cannot exceed power in.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.