Is Higher VA always better? and Avel close or Antek exact?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As an aside, I recently made a power supply using a 750VA toroid with 4x 9V secondaries. I put two secondaries in series to give me 2x 18V. I used some very robust bridge rectifiers and 8x 22000uF 40V caps, to give me two 25.5V DC rails each with 88000uF capacitance. By changing one internal ground connection I can make this a 2x +25.5V DC supply or a +/-25.5V DC supply.

The reason I mention this is that one of the primary issues with large transformers is cost. I suspect many people here will, like me, build many different amps over time. Often this means one stereo amp in use with several others sitting idle. My new PSU will do an excellent job of powering many of the common DIY amps (Pass class-a designs including Alephs, ACA etc, chip amps using LM3875/LM3886 etc, class-d amps using TPA3116 etc.) so I don't need to buy new transformers and other PSU up bits for each amp. This way I get a really beefy PSU and save on costs (and build time) in the long run.

I know it's an obvious point but one big external PSU can win on cost and performance. Also, stray flux is less of an issue when the transformer is a distance from the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.