Toroid Transformer Vertical or Horizontal Mounting - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 10:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

If width is an issue, can I ask if height or if there is a specific capacity (an enclosed bookshelf type box -- probably not good for airflow if it was enclosed on sides and top, but I have seen stranger make-do placement in Hong Kong) of the space you are putting the amp into?

If the overall width is the issue, then why not stack the amplifier part (transistors, boards, caps, heatsinks, speaker outputs, and stuff) in above the torrids? Torrids and big caps in below the amplifier part (and even this is flexible if height is not an issue). Torrids and a big cap bank run relatively cool already compared to the transistors so neither will cook each other in this arrangement. The torrids can then be laid flat and no brackets needed.

Up there I said if height is not an issue, then you could make it three levels if you are really strapped for width. Level 1 = torrids, level 2 = big cap bank, level 3 = amplifier boards and transistors.

At this point, if you do go vertical, you could even consider a very sleek looking modern looking computer mini-tower or tower -- there are a few depths and various heights you van pick from depending on your size amplifier build and the cooling needed (some come with air filters prefitted). Attach the heatsinks to some cut out holes on the side of the case. This could free you up from thinking about case fabrication and think more on on case modification. I have seen some really nice looking drool worthy skinny computer cases that were both plain black fronts with access doors and venting being used for HTPCs that I would use in a heartbeat. Think 2001 A Space Odyssey's black monolith (with feet and annoying blue LEDs). Yours would be a heat sinked monolith pre-drilled for fans.

The other way I was thinking was if you were into case fabrication, then why not make a separate case for the power source (torrids)? That way later on when you do find more space, these boxes can go side by side, or somewhat separated by whatever is constraining the width cable connected, or stacked on top of one another.

But i'm just saying, ya know...
Old 5th October 2012, 12:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
If width is an issue, can I ask if height or if there is a specific capacity (an enclosed bookshelf type box -- probably not good for airflow if it was enclosed on sides and top, but I have seen stranger make-do placement in Hong Kong) of the space you are putting the amp into?

If the overall width is the issue, then why not stack the amplifier part (transistors, boards, caps, heatsinks, speaker outputs, and stuff) in above the torrids? Torrids and big caps in below the amplifier part (and even this is flexible if height is not an issue). Torrids and a big cap bank run relatively cool already compared to the transistors so neither will cook each other in this arrangement. The torrids can then be laid flat and no brackets needed.

Up there I said if height is not an issue, then you could make it three levels if you are really strapped for width. Level 1 = torrids, level 2 = big cap bank, level 3 = amplifier boards and transistors.

At this point, if you do go vertical, you could even consider a very sleek looking modern looking computer mini-tower or tower -- there are a few depths and various heights you van pick from depending on your size amplifier build and the cooling needed (some come with air filters prefitted). Attach the heatsinks to some cut out holes on the side of the case. This could free you up from thinking about case fabrication and think more on on case modification. I have seen some really nice looking drool worthy skinny computer cases that were both plain black fronts with access doors and venting being used for HTPCs that I would use in a heartbeat. Think 2001 A Space Odyssey's black monolith (with feet and annoying blue LEDs). Yours would be a heat sinked monolith pre-drilled for fans.

The other way I was thinking was if you were into case fabrication, then why not make a separate case for the power source (torrids)? That way later on when you do find more space, these boxes can go side by side, or somewhat separated by whatever is constraining the width cable connected, or stacked on top of one another.

But i'm just saying, ya know...
Voooah!!! Thats a big message.
I deeply appreciate your effort of taking your time to write it. Thanks
I will keep your recommendation in mind while doing the Project.
Thanks Again.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:13 PM   #13
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAK View Post
In that case i will have to drop my plan to even make a barrier, Cutting a 3mm Steel Plate as per the required dimension seems a time consuming & a expensive process (using laser cutting method).
1mm might be adequate my comment on 3mm was based on some recollection of something I had read and not actual experience I have only used lead for sheilding. Have a look at this thread DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Power transformer shielding(external) at least one poster is saying that 1/4 inch aluminium is a good shield.

Tony.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAK View Post
Voooah!!! Thats a big message.
I deeply appreciate your effort of taking your time to write it. Thanks
I will keep your recommendation in mind while doing the Project.
Thanks Again.
No problem. I was waiting for some few laminations to dry/cure and didn't want to clean out my garage and have dust fall everything.

Hope that the project goes well and remember to post pictures later on.

OTAB
Old 6th October 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What about a steel band around the toroid?

The company I work for manufactures equipment used for EIS. Since these devices not only measure voltages and currents, but also supply them, they are equipped with an amplifier fed by a linear PSU.
The ~300 VA toroid (mounted vertical, BTW) is a custom made item that has a steel band around it. In the past they used toroids without the band, but in some cases the magnetic flux leakage, however low, was still too high. The steel band gives the leakage an easier path than air, so it stays confined to the band. The band is electrically connected to the chassis. No further magnetic shielding of any kind is employed.

Last edited by jitter; 6th October 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 6th October 2012, 06:33 PM   #16
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitter View Post
What about a steel band around the toroid?

The company I work for manufactures equipment used for EIS. Since these devices not only measure voltages and currents, but also supply them, they are equipped with an amplifier fed by a linear PSU.
The ~300 VA toroid (mounted vertical, BTW) is a custom made item that has a steel band around it. In the past they used toroids without the band, but in some cases the magnetic flux leakage, however low, was still too high. The steel band gives the leakage an easier path than air, so it stays confined to the band. The band is electrically connected to the chassis. No further magnetic shielding of any kind is employed.
That sounds interesting, might be worth a try. I found when building my moscode amps that if the toroid was too close to the chassis you could feel a small vibration in the chassis, so I mount mine on two 20mm thick wood strips lined with foam weather strip, tied down with cable ties. The same with crossover coils, if they are too close together they interact with each other.
Mac

The Book Worm - DIY Audio Ebooks and Manuals - Speakers, Moscode Amplifiers, Electronics, Map Reading, Free Capacitor Intro.
Old 24th November 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

What about horizontal mounting, but in a "hanging" manner? I mean, bolting the transformer underneath the top panel of the chassis, provided it can handle its weight and not bend.

Is this considered an acceptable practice? Any examples where this has been implemented?
Old 24th November 2013, 08:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

That should be no difference from mounting it bolted to the bottom of the chassis. A transformer can of course be installed anyway around as long as you dont short it , or create any shorted loops around the magnetic field .
The stray field can be directional of course which you might have to consider when having sensitive circuits.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The part where the leads go in (and come out of) the toroid can be the source of some flux leakage. Positioning this part away from sensitive parts towards the chassis helps.

Hide this!Advertise here!