Mr. Jung's new shunt regulator!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That old "new" regulator

AudioXpress interviews WJ in the October 2012 issue -- he describes a new shunt regulator with a cascode pair of the DN2540 depletion MOSFETs as the current source, and a PNP (D45H11) used as the shunt element for the positive.

I guess you'll have to buy the issue to see it.

Hi Jack, and to everyone else interested in that "new" regulator. It isn't really new, rather it is just an application of previously used concepts. The current source with the DN2540's has been used by many, and is simply superb in both DC and AC terms. Data on the performance is on my website.

The regulator proper is simply the "Improved" reg as cited, adapted for a PNP shunt operation.

The basic idea of this was to steer folks towards thinking more of localizing audio dynamic currents, and keeping them isolated from the rectifiers, etc. Thus, I'd encourage everyone to think of it more of an example.

Regards to all.

Walt J
PS: Kudoes to Jack Walton on his very illuminating article on regulator listening tests, in Linear Audio.
PS2: The link to the interview with this "new" reg is here.

Last edited:
Updated link for shunt reg

Hi Jack, and to everyone else interested in that "new" regulator. It isn't really new, rather it is just an application of previously used concepts. The current source with the DN2540's has been used by many, and is simply superb in both DC and AC terms. Data on the performance is on my website.

The regulator proper is simply the "Improved" reg as cited, adapted for a PNP shunt operation.

The basic idea of this was to steer folks towards thinking more of localizing audio dynamic currents, and keeping them isolated from the rectifiers, etc. Thus, I'd encourage everyone to think of it more of an example.

Regards to all.

Walt J
PS: Kudoes to Jack Walton on his very illuminating article on regulator listening tests, in Linear Audio.
PS2: The link to the interview with this "new" reg is here (2012).

PS3: Watch this space and the link below for new developments:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.