Car battery as power supply - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 03:39 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you want DC for music from a DC source (solar panels) then use a DC to DC converter.
DC-DC converters invariably work internally as DC-AC-DC converters* (it's physics ) - they are no different beast than switch-mode power supplies. That should be kept in mind with respect to the special precautions that have to be taken when using SMPS in audio (concerning switching frequency, noise, HF hash etc.).

Greetings,
Andreas

*unless it's down-conversion, then they might be linear regulators or simple resistors
Old 27th September 2012, 03:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks all.

I own a couple auto repair facilities, so I can get old batteries cheap. We replace many batteries that still have life for other uses like our cabin solar system. If I return those old batteries I only get a $4 core refund, so I'm intrigued with finding further uses for them, like DC powered audio. I could run a number of batteries in series, as suggested by Wintermute.

Given the low cost of my DC power situation, I'm wondering about other pros and cons.

My big question is - Since this DC set up is off-the-grid and it can be(I think?) simpler than a typical AC/DC power supply, can it provide superior sound?

Other considerations - Garage system, so I can put batteries outside, and there's no WAF. - Source is computer with outboard USB DAC with volume so I only need to power power amp. I would probably experiment with an old Adcom, but would like to build a low power tube amp in the future.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 04:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Le Monstre is what probably you are looking for.

Le monstre
Old 27th September 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
Le Monstre is what probably you are looking for.

Le monstre
Le monstre???
Old 29th September 2012, 07:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

actualy running amplifiers from battery power is a good idea.
far better than dc-dc converters or transformators.
battery is pure DC.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've run amps off solar in Hawaii, no problem. With efficient speakers a 12V bridged amp is plenty. I sometime run off SLA batteries and a normal charger.

I've heard tube amps that run off SLA with a custom DC-DC converter. Sounded good to me.
Old 29th September 2012, 09:57 PM   #17
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Wuehle View Post
Can we eliminate the inverter and build/modify a power amp to run directly off 12v car batteries?
There are some amplifiers which use "clean battery power" - for example ASR Emitter II have an option for powering from battery power supply:
take a look on here:
http://www.asraudio.com/Epdf/IEEmitter2.pdf

And if I remenber, old Technics preamp had also own Accu inside.

Those amps have battery power builded in to their design, suppose that to build new one will be easy than modify existing power supply for your equipment.

Interesting if members here have some modifications of their DIY amps that allow to switch to battery power.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

"with the Battery the ASR Emitter II
Exclusive gets a more precise soundstage, the low frequencies have more power and precision."

This from the ASR Emitter website. Interesting.
Old 30th September 2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The ASR Emitter II use the battery only for the driving stage. Not the whole amp!
greets:
Tyimo
Old 30th September 2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Tachyon is offline Tachyon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hifimediy T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V

Hifimediy T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V

Hide this!Advertise here!