Tube power supply and hot regulators - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 11:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks once again for checking the mods. I have just finished installing them, and it still works! Amps are warming up as I type.

Picture of the bird's nest attached.

I have kept two 100uF caps after the final output from the power supply board - I know you didn't recommend this but have added some additional resistors in series between the caps so hope that is acceptable?

I tried measuring noise/ripple with the scope. There is a significant drop in noise or ripple after the additional caps on the output. I'm not sure I was using the scope correctly, but set it to DC coupled and tried measuring both AC and DC. AC showed more fluctuation. I've attached a couple of photos of the trace. Both are with voltage range set at the maximum resolution of 0.1mV per division. The worst case one is with magnification set to x5 and measured at the final output from the board. The smoother trace is at 0.1mV with no X5 magnification and measured after one of the additional 100uF caps after the output.

I tested before and after the low pass filter mod and think it really did clean up some of the high frequency hash.

I'm not sure if the result would be considered good or not? or if I was measuring correctly. I think there was some residual ripple on the scope as there best results looked similar to when the probes weren't even connected to the power supply - i.e. the scope must be picking up some residual noise. This was particularly apparent when positioned close to the power supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Using 12 volt heaters would be a better solution.
Thanks Nigel, the large voltage drop would explain the heat. I have ordered some 12 volt valves (12SN7) like you suggest. I then read that 12SX7s are supposedly better. Guess I can always try some later.

Thanks all for you help with this there does seem to be more texture and authority to the sound now.

Oh, one boo boo I made while testing was I stupidly let the body of one of the bigger electrolytics touch the B+ output, typically where thee heat shrink was 2mm too short - there was a largish spark and a snap sound, but voltage still measures ok and everything seems to work. Is there anything that would have been damaged or anything I should check?

Any other worthwhile improvements....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The bird's nest.jpg (696.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 1mV x5 +zoom.jpg (542.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Final Output.jpg (603.2 KB, 31 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!