How to test Power Mosfet IXTA36N30P TA36N30P - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 04:18 AM   #1
mrfix90 is offline mrfix90  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to test Power Mosfet IXTA36N30P TA36N30P

Hi,

I am working on a y-sustain board from a sanyo plasma tv. It has has some bad mosfet on it. How do I test them without removing them? Is there any easy way to test them with digital multimeter and diode mode?

Here is the spec datasheet :

IXTA36N30P pdf, IXTA36N30P description, IXTA36N30P datasheets, IXTA36N30P view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
Old 19th September 2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The usual failure mode is becoming short circuit from drain to source. That will show on a meter in circuit. Use low ohms range or diode range. If it reads 0.00 (or very low) then its faulty.

To test more fully requires testing out of circuit. If the gate is left floating during testing you may get misleading results. The device should read open circuit between D and S (with the gate tied to S) and the meter positive lead on the Drain and negative lead on the Source. If you reverse the meter leads it should read as a diode between D and S as shown on the data sheet.

These are just basic checks... to check more fully rewuire a test jig to plot device characteristics. Most deveices fail short though.
Old 5th November 2012, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mooly has the right answer for the initial check for shorted devices and I might add the Gates often become partially shorted to the Drain as well (tens of ohms or less). I am repairing a Magnavox Plasma, and found one of the six parallel IXTA36N30P FETs shorted but the remaining 6 devices are probably ok based on tests. The Drains and Sources are all connected in parallel so the Source and Gate leads were lifted to fully isolate them for testing. You can test the non-shorted devices with two power supplies and a current meter that will measure at least 3 amps. The Vgs supply does not need to deliver any current, just achieve 6V accurately. A battery will work well for the Vgs. The Drain supply must be capable of delivering at least 3A at 0.5V). Lift the Gate and Source leads to isolate them from the circuit, and apply 6VDC between the Gate and Source (positive on the Gate). Apply a 0.5V (yes very low Voltage) supply voltage between the Drain and Source (positive on the Drain). The device should draw 3 +/-0.1 Amps from the Drain supply. I use a variable supply with a current limit, and set the limit low at first, then raise it up slow. You can verify the correct values from the datasheet plots showing the range of Vds versus Id for various values of Vgs. I chose a low current point on the curve (Vgs=6, Vds=0.5, Id=3A) because the heatsink is off and the higher current tests may require it.
Mouser.com has the datasheet on the component page.

Hide this!Advertise here!