Toroidal Transformer additional windings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I have a toroidal transformer with two secondary windings, each giving a 38V output. I will connect these in series to give me +38V, 0V and -38V. I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add extra windings over the top of the insulating layer of the toroid, from the 0V point, to give, say, +/- 15V? I would use this for an op amp in the preamp stage. Is this a possible way? Or am I completely heading in the wrong direction?

Thanks.

0.6mm diameter enameled copper is perfect for low current windings.
The 0.28sqmm can give upto 0.9Aac of continuous output.
That would be ~400mAdc of continuous current after the bridge rectifier and ~1mF of smoothing.

0.6mm is easy to straighten and to wind. A 500gm reel has a lot of metres on it for many projects. It even makes very good air cored inductors to experiment with CLC supplies.

if the middle of your torroid is potted, you will have to remove it first...wind a test coil of say ten turns to determine the turns per volt...since volts/10 helps you with the number of turns required,.....

if you want +/-15volts i assume that that is regulated so you will need at least 15-0-15volt ac winding....wire will be small so that you can do bifillar winding.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.