Auto switch on for Power supply possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a Klipsch Sub10 in which the internal amp died.

I bought a Sure electronics 300W mono amp board and a 36V 400W power supply. I'm building a separate enclosure for the amp/PSU.

Just wondering if there is a way i can make the power supply switch on only when the sub receives signal (like the subs do standard). I havent finished it, but at the moment it looks like i will have to turn on the switch for the power supply when i watch a movie and then off again when i have finished so the power supply doesn't just sit there ON all the time.

Is there an easy way to do this? Any help would be great

Thanks

A bootstrap problem is a problem which cannot be solved until you first solve the problem. Having solved the problem, you may then solve the problem. The name comes from the idea of pulling yourself up in the air by tugging on your own bootstraps/shoelaces.

An auto-power-on circuit will work just fine provided you have first auto-powered-on the supply for the auto-power-on circuit.

I raised an issue which is often overlooked, and had not been mentioned by anyone else at that point. Your baby son must be remarkable if he already understands bootstrap problems in science and engineering. My experience is that many people do not. Your question suggested that you might be fairly new to electronics, so I could not assume that you were aware of the issue.

This is a forum for free discussion. We sometimes use humour.

I raised an issue which is often overlooked, and had not been mentioned by anyone else at that point. Your baby son must be remarkable if he already understands bootstrap problems in science and engineering. My experience is that many people do not. Your question suggested that you might be fairly new to electronics, so I could not assume that you were aware of the issue.

This is a forum for free discussion. We sometimes use humour.

You're obviously an engineer (you sound like one). I never said my son understood bootstrap problems, i said your comment was as helpful as me asking him (he can't talk so obviously useless).

My question to me, looks like i have purchased 2 products (PSU and Amp) but want to add a third to make them switch on automatically. Therefore i'm not overlooking a problem. there is no problem. I simply want an "add-on" to improve my setup.

Your bootstrap comment can be relevant for any person asking any question online or in life.

Maybe your bootstrap problem is a bootstrap problem in itself.

I will talk to the engineers at my work and mention bootstraps to them. I'm sure they will fix all future faults using this new found statement.

Bootstrap simply means that you need something to start the process.

If you wind an auxilliary 12V or so winding (by adding a few turns to your mains transformer) you can have a free 12V supply.

OK the main transformer will still be connected to the supply but you can use a relay to isolate the secondaries from the sub so that the transformer is drawing very little power.

Alternatively use the existing secondaries to power the bootstrap circuit.

Depending on the supplies used by the sub amp you may well need to add a simple resistor / zener to reduce the rails for the op-amp.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The idea is that the op-amp amplifies the input into clipping so as to produce square waves to the anode of the diode.

The charge pump circuit then simply charges the capacitor which turns on the transistor and the relay. This connects the supplies to the main sub.

Careful choice of the component values around the charge pump will determine the switch on time and the switch off time.

Really you dont even need a +/- supply for the op-amp. A simple + / 0V supply will do, all you are after is pulses being produced with an input signal present.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.