Power supply for Phillips CDPro2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply for Phillips CDPro2

i have the evaluation kit from DAISY. It has a SMPS which they suggest should be replaced with a linear supply. It needs to supply 5 and 9 volts. Does it need to be regulated? Can you suggest a good design or preferably, a kit or pre built supply that would be suitable. How complex does it need to be and of what quality? Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have anothe question. Why would the supplier suggest building linear supplies? Many people think well of SMPSs. If I decide to keep the SMPS are there any suggestions for upgrade to this type of supply in general. Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

here is a linear PSU kit made for CDpro2
Dantimax (elektronik) - Digital_audio
Old 11th September 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip. They sure don't give much info on the website. Just real basics.
Old 11th September 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

John

I have been using the Dantimax/CDPro2 combination for 3 years or more, without any issues. Good bit of kit.

You could use SMPS but in many circles it's still regarded with scepticism.

Mark
Old 11th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The smps that is supplied is the one DAISY designed as a production unit to go with their SACD/CD transport, supposedly a high end unit. Yet they still suggest linear supplies for the CDPro. What comes off the CD is an 80khz rf signal and the smps's mostly use around a 40khz switching frequency so I guess there could be some interaction from the servo and laser voltages. Who knows? Regards and thanks. I may go with the Danish ps. I may need your help in wiring it up though.
Old 11th September 2012, 05:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i also use that combo for almost 5 years now.
EDIT: come to think of it. you may need the control kit also. as it controls the relè's on the PSU.

Last edited by AudioSan; 11th September 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11th September 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have the complete kit coming from DAISY, CDMPro, smps, display and controller, remote, and all cables. I will listen to this first, then decide if I need the linear supplies. I am glad to know that there is expertise here in making all the fiddly bits work properly. Thanks again for all the input. Kindest regards

Hide this!Advertise here!