Help with ferrite material type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there guys,

I'm gonna build a SMPS transformer and for that I need to choose the transformer material type.

There are this types that I can buy: N87, N97, 3C90, 3C95 and 3F3.

I'd like to buy a core that could be used to frequencies up do 500kHz.

From what I have read, N87 material is for general purpose up to 500kHz. N97 is low-loss core and is up to 500kHz too. However, from the datasheet, seems to Me that the saturation level of N97 is higher.

3C95 has low losses too and it's permeability is stable with temperature. 3C90 look like the same of N87.

The 3F3 is for higher frequencies, up to 700kHz.

Can someone advice Me what kind of material type should I buy?

its a shame EPCOS and Ferroxcube have such different data. it makes this sort of comparison a PITA - you need to transcribe the data from one set of plots onto another.

If they are all from the same amnufacturer, a printer, scissors and a window on a sunny day make this easy - overlay the relevant graphs and trace the data.

N87 is pretty much the same as 3F3 - they've both been around for a long time.

3C90/3C95 & N97 are all better than N87/3F3

3C90 & N97 are pretty close

3C95 is really, really nice - its permeability is rock steady wrt temperature - all the others suck badly at low temperature.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

So, if you could choose, you would choose 3C90, 3C95 or N97.

From what you have described, the 3C95 is the best when comparing to the others?

I'll buy an EE42/21/15 , ETD39 and ETD49.

I think that they are all available in all of those materials that I've mentioned. However, if you had to choose, you would go to 3C95, N97 and 3C90? (in that order)

Regards.

Regards.

it depends on what I was doing. If I cared about the absolute value of inductance, and/or had to operate at low temperatures, 3C95 would win. but its not uncommon to utilise the change in ui with temperature - most power components run hot, and something like an EMI filter can be designed to exploit the peak in ui before it gets to the Curie temperature (where ui plummets to 1).

but yeah, 3C95 looks good.

have you looked at PQ cores? they are really nice, basically an opened-up pot core, combining the shielding of a pot core with the winding cooling of an ETD. lovely....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.