Ceramic resistor question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are ceramic resistors supposed to get extremely hot? I mean to the point of burning you the immediate instant your skin brushes it? I've had two different tube units, both of which had at least one ceramic for voltage dropping, and they both run piping hot. Is this normal, or indicative of other problems?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are ceramic resistors supposed to get extremely hot? I mean to the point of burning you the immediate instant your skin brushes it? I've had two different tube units, both of which had at least one ceramic for voltage dropping, and they both run piping hot. Is this normal, or indicative of other problems?

Yes it can be normal. Normal to the point that you need high melting point solder to stop them unsoldering themselves.

Rod, do you mean those white "bathtub" resistors..... the ones that look like a bit of a tile off the side of the space shuttle?..theyre usually rectangle shape.

...if so , yes, in a television company i once worked for....we used to have one in series with a flaback smps...the reason....just in case there was a short across the primary and otherwise the current sense resistors might blow off the board....(health and safety)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.