regulated power suuply for Texas TPA3100D2 evaluation board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
please see the attached schematic.
I want to build a 20V 6amp regulated power supply for the class d amp that has a a peak power requirement of 26 V and 4 amp.
would like to receive feedback and build suggestions .

thanks

kp93300

Attachments

• 6amp_reg_powersupply.gif
    6amp_reg_powersupply.gif
    17 KB · Views: 175
I am in the process of putting together an amp using the TPA3116D2

I designed my own board for it (now I can't find my 3 free samples but they are around here somewhere)

I also wanted to use a regulated supply

I am planning to use a zener / bjt feedback type power FET regulator and did some calculations of the transformer / filter cap size I would need for a 26V 6.5A regulated supply

With a good 24VAC secondary transformer and allowing a 2V drop for the diode ( I don't have Electronic workbench installed and some assumptions are made), 10,800uF would give me 1.76V headroom for the regulator and a regulator power dissipation of 25.6W. The peak rectifier current is about 71A.

Changing the filter cap to 12,600uF would increase the headroom to 2.3V, the power dissipation to 27.3W and peak diode current to 76A.

The reason for the cap sized is that I have a large quantity of 1800uF 50V low esr caps that were pulled from some equipment destined to be scrapped

I hope to hear more of the evaluation board

Which devices are you going to use?

Hi Dug
I didnot build the circuit in the first post .
I build a regulated power supply based on LM 338 and a pretracking regulator based on this circuit

Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain

It is based on Part 4 of the blog on using the 3 pin regulator. I replace the LM 318 with the LM338. Read the part 1 to part 4 of the blog on using the 3 pin regulators.
The information are very helpful in understanding the circuit.

I am very happy with the sound which is much better than an smps laptop battery .
cheers

kp93300

A regulated power supply is really not needed. I have designed a portable stereo using the TPA3100D2, it runs from a wall-wart, anything from 12V to 18-20V, works just fine. I have 4700uF/35V ecap for bulk storage and two low ESR 220uF/35V caps on each rail closer to the device, it works fine. A regulated PS is really just a waste of time, money, power. I doubt very much that you will hear any sonic difference, if you use a regulated supply. The whole idea of using a class "D" amp is for efficiency gains, you are basically throwing the efficiency gains away by using a linear regulator.
Using a battery is not a very good economical solution either!!
I have been testing my design out using a lab supply, I can not tell the difference between my lab supply and the wall-wart!!
Sorry if I am off topic here and you are requiring a lab supply to be used for testing purposes only and it is not meant to be the PS for this amp long term.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi
the sound difference is obvious but not day and night difference.

The improvement is mainly in the area of sound stage depth and width. The illusion of space around the musicians by demonstrating the subtle decay of piano , string instruments etc is much more obvious and such subtle details make listening experience more enjoyable .

If you value this type of details, the circuit is worth trying.

regards
kp93300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.