Psu / battery recharging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an ak4396 dac that is being powered by a 12v dc supply. I'm also considering using a 12v dc battery to power the dac.

I was thinking of redirecting the on board psu to recharge the battery instead of supply the dac directly.

Is it ok to recharge the battery while powering up the dac with the same battery?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
You could possibly do that, but there are some issues.

Firstly, a 12vdc supply is not high enough voltage to fully charge a standard lead-acid battery.
You'd need to implement a steering diode configuration so the two supplies don't "conflict."
You'd need to add a current limit resistor across the battery diode to allow charging when the DC supply is on.

I'll probably get stoned by I don't see the point in using battery supplies...unless it's for portable usage. Battery supplies are "designed" by guys who don't have the expertise to design a proper AC supply. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.