BA033 replacement? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2012, 08:17 PM   #1
bmoraru is offline bmoraru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default BA033 replacement?

would like to replace such a 3.3V regulator in a Denon CD player (DAC analog voltage, i assume) if i could find a better one - can you recommend one? any recommendations? thanks!
Old 21st August 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Know your enemy

What aspect of the regulator do you feel needs improving. I'm guessing the reg is already itself fed from a stabilised supply which would ensure a very very stable output. I doubt you will gain much and could easily make things worse by just swapping for the sake of it. These regs also have a low in out differential (if that is important to the application).

If you can measure and identify a performance aspect that needs improvement then that's fine and perhaps a custom discrete design may be the answer.

It is easy to make things worse though. You might get more real benifit by looking at improving local decoupling at the destination end of the reg as even a few cm of print can easily increase the noise observed at that point with respect to the reg.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

LF33AB is a good one with specified noise numbers (50 V). I never found a data sheet of BA033 with noise numbers which is very odd for a regulator data sheet. I suspect it to be high. Anyway I used LF33AB with good results in some DACs. There are better 3.3 V regs but those are SMD only. If current is very low you could try the excellent FleaDIY from Ray. In any case good local decoupling of the chips in the vicinity of the + and GND pins is advisable.

BTW it is wise not to assume things in electronics. I agree with Mooly but give some info anyway. Better make sure what it is you will be replacing and what impact it may have. A service manual/schematic is a must to know what you are doing.

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st August 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Hi JP,

In fact, i'm looking for a 3-pin replacement for the BA033FP, which is the SMD version. I've got my eye on the LT1963A from Linear. Do you have any experience with them or are there some other SMD types you can recommend?

Thanks for your kind words about The Flea :-)

Regards,

Ray

Last edited by 6h5c; 22nd August 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!