heater regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Default heater regulator

I am in the process of collecting parts and ideas for a new moskido build. I am thinking of regulated dc for the heaters. Two 6sn7s and two 6sl7s. I am gathering that simple three pin regulators are not the best. I came across the attached circuit recommended by Rod Coleman. Any thoughts? Would I need eight of these?
Thanks, Evan
Attached Images
File Type: png heater circuit.PNG (18.7 KB, 294 views)
Old 9th August 2012, 02:19 PM   #2
jgf is offline jgf  United States
diyAudio Member

I looked up "Coleman regulator", it's a design for direct heated triodes, probably overkill for what you need. A well implemented 3 terminal regulator will give excellent results for your tube choices.
Old 10th August 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've build 8 of the one you linked, for indirect heated tube (6sn7,etc,etc) and results are great.
I just changed R1 for a power potentiometer (15watts) to adapt for tubes variations.

I used 1 reg for each tubes used.
You could use one of this for multpile tubes (pair) but in case of failure of one tube
you'll fry the other one.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:04 AM   #4
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post
... I am gathering that simple three pin regulators are not the best.
They are very good and certainly don't cost much. However you may need more current than one can supply. In that case you use the three terminal regulator to control a pass transistor. The data sheets all have examples.

It would be hard to implement the over current, short circuit and thermal protections and build all that as small and cheap as an LM317.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

do you really need a regulated supply - I'd suggest you might not and that a simple AC heater supply will work just fine. It will be simpler and possibly more reliable. With proper wiring practices and use of a good quality heater transformer I don't believe you will have any hum.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th August 2012, 03:57 AM   #6
seanvn is offline seanvn  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

One voltage regulator idea I like is simply a MOSFET source follower with a battery connected to its gate. There is no current drain on the battery so it should last its shelf life. The output should really be quite stable. It is easy to find powermos devices with S in excess of 45. You would not get great temperature stability but other than that it should be very good.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:11 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Valves do not need regulated heaters, except possibly when building a VFO. They don't need DC heaters either, except perhaps for a phono or mike preamp.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I would disagree a bit- although they don't NEED regulated heaters, regulation can help stabilize operating points against mains voltage changes as well as reject differential and (if you set them up correctly) common mode noise which can couple to cathodes. Well-designed three pin regulators (e.g., 317/337 with bypassed adj pins and bypassed outputs) work fine in that service.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Well I see what happens when I go away for the weekend. I have decided to build the amp with ac for the heaters. If and when I feel the need to tinker I will have some good ideas on where to go.

Thanks for the input..Evan
Old 14th August 2012, 10:20 AM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Very few audio circuits need precise maintenance of operating points. Even when they do, supply rail regulation comes first then heater regulation if necessary. In most cases, regulated heater are being used to 'gild the lily' or even 'gild the sow's ear'.

Hide this!Advertise here!