diyAudio (
-   Power Supplies (
-   -   Tube Power Supply Help (

skidave 5th August 2012 02:03 AM

Tube Power Supply Help
I'm looking for some help with a 500 Volt (DC) power supply for an output stage on a tube amp I am building. I decided to use SS rectification for the output supply and I would like it to be regulated. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of voltage headroom with the transformer I have, so a standard CLC or CRC filter is not going to work. I have always liked regulated supplies for HV anyway. I was going to use a few stacked zeners and a series pass transistor. Much like the Audio Research SP-3A-1 power supply. I'm guessing the max current will be around 300mA. I don't currently have LT Spice loaded and I need to find an appropriate series pass transistor.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate the help.


TonyTecson 5th August 2012 02:18 AM

mosfet series pass transistor is the way forward imho, stronger than bjt' you can use higher valued gate resistor/capacitors for slow ramp up of B+

lots to read here:

skidave 5th August 2012 09:14 PM

Thanks. I'm researching. I'm so / so with Mosfets and circuit design. I found one or two tube power supply circuits using Mosfets.

Anyone have a circuit they recommend.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:20 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio