Using constant current source as voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes the Jfet will create a voltage reference. The other factor is how stable you need it to be.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/70596/70596.pdf

But I think most of the time people use a precision shunt voltage reference, kind of a zener diode that is temperature compensated.

LT1004 - Micropower Voltage Reference - Linear Technology

“The LT1004 Micropower Voltage Reference is a 2-terminal bandgap reference diode designed to provide high accuracy and excellent temperature characteristics at very low operating currents.”

+- 4mV initial accuracy LT1004-1.2

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A voltage reference mimics an ideal battery, that is, zero output impedance. That means that when the load on the reference varies, the reference does NOT vary (because the 'ideal battery' gives out the same voltage whatever the load variation).

Your current source into a resistor gives a reference voltage that depends on the resistor value (assuming for the moment ideal current source). The load circuit that 'hangs' off your reference also has a 'resistance' so right there that messes up your reference voltage. Further more, if that load circuit's resistance or impedance varies with signal, your reference varies with signal.
So no, your idea for a reference is not a good one.

jan didden

I do this often and it works great. But like Jan said, any variance in current pulling off of the voltage reference will vary the reference. So I like to use it in this manner...

Cascode the low Gm J-fet with the high Gm J-fet to get a more acurate Idss. Use a J-fet gate as the load on the voltage reference to steer the differential. (the N-Jfet and the P-Jfet act like a diff amp in this arrangement:)) If much higher output voltage is needed, you can always add another cascode to the J201. Way better than using noisy Zeners for a voltage reference IMO.

:2c:

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 259
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I do this often and it works great. But like Jan said, any variance in current pulling off of the voltage reference will vary the reference. So I like to use it in this manner...

Cascode the low Gm J-fet with the high Gm J-fet to get a more acurate Idss. Use a J-fet gate as the load on the voltage reference to steer the differential. (the N-Jfet and the P-Jfet act like a diff amp in this arrangement:)) If much higher output voltage is needed, you can always add another cascode to the J201. Way better than using noisy Zeners for a voltage reference IMO.

:2c:

Nice. Any measurements for us to compare to a purpose-designed voltage reference driven by a CS? I would be interested in Zout over freq and nosie levels.

Note to Phisci: this is also a reference build from a current into a resistor, but the difference with your idea is that here there is a negative feedback loop that modifies the current source 'strength' to compensate for reference changes with load changes (and a few other things), and thereby stabilizes the ref voltage.

jan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.