Help needed for Pioneer SA-500. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
charas is offline charas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed for Pioneer SA-500.

If anyone can help me please to make a much better power supply for the Pioneer SA-500 integrated amplifier.This is a lovely sounding amplifier by today's standards and i think his let down from his poor power supply and his peamp stage(i know that because i have try the amp as a power amplifier only and it was much better).All sugestions will consider.I have in hand 2 transformers:
1 with primary 230v,secondary 30-0+30-0V 1.5 A,
2 with primary 230v, secondary 35-0+35-0V 1.25 A,
And of course the amplifier's own transformer with secondary 30-0-30 0.6A.
Also i have in hand various capacitors,diodes,bridge rectifiers and some regulators ic.
Here is the link with the service manual of the amplifier.

w w w . d o w n l o a d - s e r v i c e - m a n u a l s . c o m / d o w n l o a d . p h p ? f i l e = P i o n e e r - 1 0 4 4 . p d f & S I D = n v 8 d 4 e f 3 i 3 e r 6 m j 0 7 q 9 i e g i 3 d 4 p 1 g b a a

Last edited by charas; 30th July 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: remove link to copyrighted material.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
Keep the transformer in the case, won't ever need changing and won't affect sound quality. If you really want to replace power supply parts, I'd replace the electrolytic smoothing caps, preferably with Panasonics FC series or some other high quality caps. Don't change component values or add anything new.

If you're feeling really adventurous then you might want to think about replacing all the electrolytic caps in the amp. This almost always noticeably improves performance of amps in the 30+ age group. Don't bother with anything else, it'll all be fine the way it was.

Hope that helps .
Old 31st July 2012, 04:34 AM   #3
charas is offline charas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default pioneer sa-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty78pig View Post
Keep the transformer in the case, won't ever need changing and won't affect sound quality. If you really want to replace power supply parts, I'd replace the electrolytic smoothing caps, preferably with Panasonics FC series or some other high quality caps. Don't change component values or add anything new.

If you're feeling really adventurous then you might want to think about replacing all the electrolytic caps in the amp. This almost always noticeably improves performance of amps in the 30+ age group. Don't bother with anything else, it'll all be fine the way it was.

Hope that helps .
Thanks for the reply monty78pig but i allready have done this,changing all the capacitors in power supply and the nain amp.I haven't change the capacitors in the pre amp section.The sound after changing the capacitors is far more vivid and has more authority but i think the desighn of the power supply needs to change because the amp sound wooly in the bottom end.
Any better supply in mind?Perhaps a regulated 1 or a far more better non regulated?

Hide this!Advertise here!