Ventilating Transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ventilating Transformers

I have two transformers, one is 120VA, the other 7VA. I want to encase them in aluminium covers I've made, which give about 4mm clearance around each of the transformers. My plan was to cover the cases in MuMetal shielding.

Is it advisable to drill ventilation holes in the base and top? Will this affect the shielding properties of the MuMetal?

The transformers will not be highly loaded, I'm thinking this will be like an encapsulated transformer. Hopefully the experts can give me advice on this one. I'd rather not drill them unless it's advisable to do so.

Many thanks for any advice.
Old 28th July 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If they are lightly loaded you should not need the ventillation holes.

Try them. See if they get too warm.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:22 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Any working of mu metal can reduce its shielding properties, which in any case is only good for fairly low fields. Put mu metal around the things which need to be protected from the field, not the source of the field. For a power transformer a belly band is probably a better way to reduce any external magnetic field.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Both the transformers have a GOSS Band and an Electrostatic shield.

I'm building the power supply, once I finish the Beta 22 unit, I'll see how hot they get at full load.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Like DF96 says. mu metal is the wrong material for power transformer screening, if you really need to, use stalloy or similar materials.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
mu metal is the wrong material for power transformer screening..
What is a mu metal? That grey alloy plate? It has been used for ages to screen transformers, as well as line-level amplifiers. In transformers by transformer's manufacturer, and around sensitive amp (not around transformer) by device manufacturer. Rarely I have seen mu-metal used to "screen" transformer.

In RF devices, I only found aluminum block (no mu-metal), may be mixed with silver. Once I found gold for shielding
Old 29th July 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mu metal is a specific alloy containing nickel, iron, copper and chromium. It is specifically designed for low level screening, for instance tape heads and microphone transformers and is very effective. It is little use for power transformers since it easily saturates at higher flux densities and becomes inefective. It also requires heat treatment after any bending or machining which makes it difficult for the DIYer. Since it is a greyish alloy it is not easy to identify visually but it is a fair bet that any screening can round a power transformer is not mu metal.
RF screening is an entirely different problem and skin effect makes the use of copper, aluminium and even silver and gold effective.
Old 29th July 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
it is not easy to identify visually
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG-14.jpg (54.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 29th July 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Exactly - that`s a screening can made of ?????
Old 29th July 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Rolf Gemein has been using Mu covers on toroidal transformers for 25 years.
Difference is that these have 1mm wall thickness and are ready made (require a clamp to hold them to the case)

Hide this!Advertise here!