Wanted - Schematic diagrams for Artesyn ( Sun V880 Server ) Power Supplies. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2012, 10:43 PM   #11
kimbal is offline kimbal  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just to give you guys and idea of the complexity of this project - it's nothing like what has been previously mentioned.

The daughter "control" board I spoke of has 28 surface mount IC chips ( an an uncountable number of micro chip parts as well ) within a double sided PCB that I guess is about 6 x 4inches in size - that you can only read information with a magnifier. The tracks that wire them are hair thin, maybe thinner in places.

Additional to that, there is a 48 pin 90 degree header connector joining the daughter and mother PCB's together ( yes the bastard is soldered on ) and the tracks again are hair thin.

Even with my wizz-bang new Xytronics DIA-60 De-soldering Iron ( which went out cheap at "Tricky Dicky" - Dick Smith - a few years ago ) and a new tip, I'm having great trouble just de-soldering the header connector joining the 2 boards because of the through hole plating.

Adding further insult to injury - all the the parts on the daughter PCB are surface mount - which I hate - as I can't see the bloody things without glasses and a magnifier. On the other PCbs you have about 15 large heatsinks scattered about with chip components buried underneath - meaning the heatsinks have the be removed to see the PCB wiring below. ( maybe I've lost the plot on all this and need to get a life !)

The main connector that connects the enclosed power supply module into the server has a small 24 gold pin secondary connector ( using all 24 pins of course ) back into the main server wiring. Having information on this wiring hookup will at least get the bugger to activate on the bench - before any mods can be done.

So the task of just getting the supply fired up on the bench is a challenge in itself.

The up side to all this is - the Manager of one of the US Companies I emailed, has gotten back to say "I need the service documentation" ( dah !!!) which he is looking into chasing for me ( but don't hold your breath waiting for it ! ).

If I can procure this it "might" ( I say "might" - because I'm still not confident its a plug and play setup. ) save, me a lot of grief.

I'm quite concerned de-soldering the PCB's will stuff them once and for all, because linking broken tracks is not realistic in this sort of manufacturing technology.

Anyone got any better Ideas !

( Maybe at the end of the day - I'll just go and buy a big power supply and be done with the hassle ! )

Last edited by kimbal; 27th July 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 30th January 2013, 09:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Connector Pinouts - Sun Fire X4600 and Sun Fire X4600 M2 Servers Service Manual

this is pinout for power supply SUN, but newer model then v880. But pin A1 is PS_ON - I think that is it.
Old 8th October 2013, 06:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just did some reverse engineering on this psu. I took the control pins out of the box using a ribbon cable and measured the voltage levels when the psu was connected to the computer as well as unconnected. Results can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&output=html

There were two pins that got my attention, #3 and #16 as they seem to get grounded when the power supply is running. So I shorted these pins to the ground, powered the device and voilą!, it came up, steady as hell

It is very well designed and built psu and it can give lots of power to any of its rails, requiring no load to others.. well, at least to my favorite one, 48V rail. I took 260W out of it (I didn't dear to feed more in my 20W resistor) with no problems.

Oh, yes, the ground I believe can be found from pin #15 and the pins closest to the control connector in ports A1 and B1.

I believe this was my first post on this forum! I hope people find this information useful

Hide this!Advertise here!