Where can I get transformer for this (USA)? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
bondul is offline bondul  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS240 View Post
Yes. Here is a company I have used before. price includes shipping and mounting hardware. You have to supply the magnet wire for the secondary yourself, but for the 250VAC winding you would use smaller guage wire, isulate it with the supplied polypropylene film plastic wraping and then add the lower voltage secondary windings on top.
Wow this is cool. Some questions:
I suppose I can create 3 secondaries that I need for my application.
What else do you think I need to buy and where (I hope they are available in local h*me depot)?
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:29 AM   #12
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondul View Post
I am sure this is very dumb question:
"If I want to modify 6.3V to 15V, I need to add winding. Instead: can I take one of existing 250V, reduce the winding and make it to 15V?"
To reduce a 250V to 15V you would have to open up the transformer and remove almost all the turns from the 250V winding. Then you will have a 15V winding with the SAME current rating as the old 250V winding.

When they say "add" to the 6.3V winding they don't literally mean to do that. The plan would be a add some turns to create a new 8.7 volt winding and then wire that in series with the existing 6.3V. These new turns can go over top of the finishing tape so it is very easy.

But why NOT buy a second transformers. A small 15V one is very inexpensive
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:14 PM   #13
bondul is offline bondul  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
To reduce a 250V to 15V you would have to open up the transformer and remove almost all the turns from the 250V winding. Then you will have a 15V winding with the SAME current rating as the old 250V winding.

When they say "add" to the 6.3V winding they don't literally mean to do that. The plan would be a add some turns to create a new 8.7 volt winding and then wire that in series with the existing 6.3V. These new turns can go over top of the finishing tape so it is very easy.

But why NOT buy a second transformers. A small 15V one is very inexpensive
Understood.
I am thinking can save some space by using 1 transformer
Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!