Where can I get transformer for this (USA)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo! I am a new diyer. Trying to build PSU for my preamp tube. It requires 3 secondaries output. So far, I need to combine 2 transformers (based on edcor, hammond and antek design) . I'm wondering if anyone know where to buy 1 transformer in USA that can supply all 3 secondaries output.

Also, is there any company offering transformer kit? I am willing to learn.

I am attaching the scematic. All is the same but the primary (input) should be 115V (US).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Scema.png
    Scema.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 138
Hallo! I am a new diyer. Trying to build PSU for my preamp tube. It requires 3 secondaries output. So far, I need to combine 2 transformers (based on edcor, hammond and antek design) . I'm wondering if anyone know where to buy 1 transformer in USA that can supply all 3 secondaries output.

I am attaching the scematic. All is the same but the primary (input) should be 115V (US).

Thanks!

This is my attachment with bigger picture

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 124
If you're not drawing a lot of current for the regulated supplies, you can wind the secondaries on the existing torroid without a lot of difficulty -- by taking one of the 6.3V windings and adding to it.

I've used transformers from discarded Eico, Heath and Knight test equipment bought at hamfests an online. A lot of these devices used 6X4 rectifiers, etc., etc.

If you're not drawing a lot of current for the regulated supplies, you can wind the secondaries on the existing torroid without a lot of difficulty -- by taking one of the 6.3V windings and adding to it.

I've used transformers from discarded Eico, Heath and Knight test equipment bought at hamfests an online. A lot of these devices used 6X4 rectifiers, etc., etc.

Thank You for the information!
Can you give me link to some literature to do that.

Thank You for the information!
Can you give me link to some literature to do that.

You can do something like this -- wind 10 turns of (for example) insulated #18 wire around the torroid. You can use a signal generator to supply a relatively low voltage to the primary of the transformer.

Measure the voltage coming off the 10 turns, measure the voltage the voltage of the 6.3VAC winding. I'll let you do the maths -- the ratios will tell you how many turns of #18 wire you'll need to bring the 6.3V winding to 15VAC. When incorporating the additional turns you need to keep going in the same direction as the 6.3VAC

You can do something like this -- wind 10 turns of (for example) insulated #18 wire around the torroid. You can use a signal generator to supply a relatively low voltage to the primary of the transformer.

Measure the voltage coming off the 10 turns, measure the voltage the voltage of the 6.3VAC winding. I'll let you do the maths -- the ratios will tell you how many turns of #18 wire you'll need to bring the 6.3V winding to 15VAC. When incorporating the additional turns you need to keep going in the same direction as the 6.3VAC

I suppose I need to add wire on the existing 6.3V to make it 15V?
Do I need to discard the 6.3v winding and restart from the beginning or just add (solder and isolating the existing 6.3v winding with new wire) until come up with 15V?

Other topic: what do you use to make it magnetic shield?

Yes. Here is a company I have used before. price includes shipping and mounting hardware. You have to supply the magnet wire for the secondary yourself, but for the 250VAC winding you would use smaller guage wire, isulate it with the supplied polypropylene film plastic wraping and then add the lower voltage secondary windings on top.

Yes. Here is a company I have used before. price includes shipping and mounting hardware. You have to supply the magnet wire for the secondary yourself, but for the 250VAC winding you would use smaller guage wire, isulate it with the supplied polypropylene film plastic wraping and then add the lower voltage secondary windings on top.

Wow this is cool. Some questions:
I suppose I can create 3 secondaries that I need for my application.
What else do you think I need to buy and where (I hope they are available in local h*me depot)?

I am sure this is very dumb question:
"If I want to modify 6.3V to 15V, I need to add winding. Instead: can I take one of existing 250V, reduce the winding and make it to 15V?"

To reduce a 250V to 15V you would have to open up the transformer and remove almost all the turns from the 250V winding. Then you will have a 15V winding with the SAME current rating as the old 250V winding.

When they say "add" to the 6.3V winding they don't literally mean to do that. The plan would be a add some turns to create a new 8.7 volt winding and then wire that in series with the existing 6.3V. These new turns can go over top of the finishing tape so it is very easy.

But why NOT buy a second transformers. A small 15V one is very inexpensive

To reduce a 250V to 15V you would have to open up the transformer and remove almost all the turns from the 250V winding. Then you will have a 15V winding with the SAME current rating as the old 250V winding.

When they say "add" to the 6.3V winding they don't literally mean to do that. The plan would be a add some turns to create a new 8.7 volt winding and then wire that in series with the existing 6.3V. These new turns can go over top of the finishing tape so it is very easy.

But why NOT buy a second transformers. A small 15V one is very inexpensive

Understood.
I am thinking can save some space by using 1 transformer
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.