Power Supply Resevoir Size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If what we are attempting to do is keep the voltage on the +/- rails from dropping or sagging as you say, is there an ultimate value for this. If we just increase the power capacitor value to some excess value then the slew rate becomes important and we have a problem with charging the capacitor bank fast enough.? If to small a capacitor rating the voltage drops. What are we matching the expected output of the amp plus and loss to heat in the output devices?
That's the point to this thread. I believe there is no simple answer, because it depends on a) the capacity, the rating of the transformer(s), b) the size and quality of the capacitor bank, and c) the PSRR of the amp, for both positive and negative rails, just for starters.

Also, do we want the amp to withstand heavy duty testing by a reviewer, just to be able to claim to be the next Krell, or merely to handle the demands of normal music content.

Frank

Last edited:
I dun know these transformers.

Partridge was a British transformer company.
They weigh a standard bag of potatoes each, go by the name TH4663, afaig there are still a couple of shops that sell them to silly buggers for $1000.

(but if weight is your thing, how about 30lb each Partridge really high current chokes i wrenched out of pro-medical jogg/walking machines ?)

gootee said:
Similarly, for any power amplifier with a linear PSU there is a lowest reservoir capacitance, below which the amplifier will not meet its specifications. How can we calculate the value of that capacitance?
I'm not certain that is true. If you increase the quiescent supply rail voltage enough, it doesn't matter how much it droops (assuming PSRR is not an issue) so you can have a small cap. Your stored energy will increase because of the higher voltage. What you can do is calculate the smallest cap required, given a stated Vdc (exceeding Vpk by whatever margin you deem helpful). You can also calculate the minimum stored energy (see my earlier post) but that merely lets you then choose C (given Vdc) or choose Vdc (given C).

I suspect you are all looking for the gold at the end of the rainbow: there is not an optimum value for C or Vdc, although there may be an optimum combination. Total 'AC in' to 'sound out' efficiency may be a useful parameter, as raising Vdc unnecessarily reduces efficiency.

Partridge was a British transformer company.
They weigh a standard bag of potatoes each, go by the name TH4663, afaig there are still a couple of shops that sell them to silly buggers for $1000.

(but if weight is your thing, how about 30lb each Partridge really high current chokes i wrenched out of pro-medical jogg/walking machines ?)
Weight more or less gives an indication how they will perform at the lower end. If they are good, so build a good amp with KT100 or so. And what do you mean CLC. AndrewT wrote that it is a circuit smoothing thd power. Does it has anti hum windings for this purpose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.