Power Supply Resevoir Size - Page 93 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2012, 11:50 AM   #921
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
have you heard of any recording done with an electric guitar without the signal going through at least a cabinet simulator? If you plan on replying "yeah for pickups with midi output" then it's not an electric guitar anymore, it's a midi controller.
Quite different choices of effects depending on the musician/producer, no not talking midi triggering or vocoder drive, but certainly Direct Injection of guitars and bass guitars is something not unknown in studios or live sound. That one was you excluded the DI thing, and it struck me weird, not mentioning the effects or post processing. Cab sims are still not the real thing, just production.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:50 AM   #922
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure that digital versus analog belongs on this thread.
good filtering = good treble harmonics for digital source replay,
power supply reservoir size = good quality bass
Would I be mistaken to assume that those are quite different topics?
Old 31st August 2012, 11:51 AM   #923
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes they are. Better be left out.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:09 PM   #924
diyAudio Member

A closely related question could be: Does better filtering decrease the needed power supply reservoir size?
Old 31st August 2012, 01:00 PM   #925
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

No, probably not. The reservoir size is set by LF requirements, where filtering has little effect.

One slight complication: if you have a really low resistance choke between reservoir and smoothing caps then you might be able to count the sum of the two as meeting LF requirements. The choke value would have to be such that at ripple frequency it blocked current but at LF it passed it. The danger then is a resonance somewhere between, so perhaps not a good idea.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:12 PM   #926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
No, probably not. The reservoir size is set by LF requirements, where filtering has little effect.

One slight complication: if you have a really low resistance choke between reservoir and smoothing caps then you might be able to count the sum of the two as meeting LF requirements. The choke value would have to be such that at ripple frequency it blocked current but at LF it passed it. The danger then is a resonance somewhere between, so perhaps not a good idea.
A resistor parallelled by a diode sort of fits that.
Thanks
-Antonio
Old 31st August 2012, 01:23 PM   #927
diyAudio Member

How/come?

Grazie!
Old 31st August 2012, 01:29 PM   #928
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppstefano View Post
How/come?

Grazie!
Just saying the resistor and 2nd stage capacitor forms a filter, but when higher current is demanded (low frequency) the diode conducts and the capacitors appear in parallel.

Ciao
-Antonio
Old 31st August 2012, 01:33 PM   #929
diyAudio Member

Tom, does this help?

I havent Per-Unitised the secondary parameters, as it didnt fit on one page...

if you arent changing the VA rating at all, then the primary parameters wont change.

if you also want to change the VA rating, then I suggest you do two sets of base parameters - primary and secondary. you only need two base voltages (P & S), Pbase and wbase stay the same. then you can get Rp_PU & Lp_leak_PU referred to the primary, and Rs_PU & Ls_leak_PU referred to the secondary (provided).

to rescale for new VA and/or voltage, just specify your Pbase_new, Vbase_new then derive Zbase_new & Lbase_new.

Then the new R and L_leak is just R_pu*Zbase_new and L_leak*Lbase_new. voila.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PU for Tom.pdf (25.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 31st August 2012, 01:42 PM   #930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post
Just saying the resistor and 2nd stage capacitor forms a filter, but when higher current is demanded (low frequency) the diode conducts and the capacitors appear in parallel.

Ciao
-Antonio
So bypassing the resistor for high currents, right? Are there some quick and dirty sizing criteria? I've read 0,15 Ohm on each rail. What about the diode? (I assume one per resistor)

Thank you Antonio.

Ciao,

Stefano

Hide this!Advertise here!