Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 07:06 PM   #801
diyAudio Member

Default line filters

Some line filters from Digikey
Click the image to open in full size.

15EH4 TE Connectivity | 15EH4-ND | DigiKey

Click the image to open in full size.

15SRBS1-X TE Connectivity | CCM1783-ND | DigiKey
Old 24th August 2012, 07:07 PM   #802
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
This type of setup should also be a very good starting point for getting some kind of comparable measurements of transient responses, that could be used when investigating and characterizing the effects of varying decoupling capacitance.

Cheers,

Tom
Looking forward, you did say tonight
Old 24th August 2012, 08:18 PM   #803
diyAudio Member

OnAudiooo,
There is a major difference in price between the two AC filters you show from DigiKey. What is so different about them, they both seem to be RF filters on the AC input. Would this replace an X-capacitor across the transformer or is this in addition to that?
Old 24th August 2012, 08:32 PM   #804
AP2 is online now AP2  Italy
diyAudio Member

Gootee well, I have curiosity to see the behavior, the response of the psu on transient current, time to balance and voltage drop. with all due respect for the work you have done, I am very skeptical about the result (in relation to what are my studies,then what I want ). 50 / 60Hz create a hole of energy, it would be easy to keep it on a choke, but this is not an acceptable solution.
I solved electronically as "nesis-regulator" but with a switch engine. at end, total weighs 400 grams, absolute clean fft, 2.7 V voltage drop on 600w burst. .. not bad.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:48 PM   #805
diyAudio Member

Hi,
a big thank for letting me grab at least something about the discussed and deepened subjects.

I was just planning to add more capacitance to a power amp of mine while substituting a faulty lytic in the psu (there are 8 of them for 80mF total), but I think I have learned this is not the case

So, I'll try to add the extra local smaller capacitance "kit" as near as possible to the output pair used (Sanken 2SC2922 and 2SA1216 for each channel).

Looking at my drawer I found a bunch of Elna 330uF/100v around and was thinking of paralleling 4 or 5 of them, bypassed with 0.1uF and, perhaps, with another 0.056/400 for each rail.

Thanks again for sharing your hard work and knowledge with whom is absolutely aware not to know (Tsiros, forgive should the quote be not 100% correct )

Keep up the good work,

Stefano
Old 24th August 2012, 11:22 PM   #806
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
OnAudiooo,
There is a major difference in price between the two AC filters you show from DigiKey. What is so different about them, they both seem to be RF filters on the AC input. Would this replace an X-capacitor across the transformer or is this in addition to that?
The X cap still remains. If you look at the datasheets,the more expensive one features chokes. (and is classified as medical grade) . It is possible that there are filters that already incorporate the X cap at the connection to the transformer, in such a situation then the X cap is already in the filter.

kind regards,

Harrison.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:30 PM   #807
diyAudio Member

You can have a look at this document http://www.epcos.com/web/generator/W...alStandard.pdf
Old 24th August 2012, 11:35 PM   #808
diyAudio Member

OnAudio,
Thanks for the reference on the connectors. It seems as soon as you ad the word hospital the price goes through the roof. I'll go back and read Cordell on power supply filtering.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 25th August 2012, 02:04 AM   #809
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Some line filters from Digikey
Adding such items willy nilly to a system may or may not have an overall benefit. Sometimes it may degrade: unless the elements are analysed in the context of a complete electrical circuit, by simulation or whatever, taking into account the true quality of the mains coming through, which is normally rather nasty, to finally reach the voltage rails of the component then to a large degree you're wandering in the dark ..

Frank
Old 25th August 2012, 03:21 AM   #810
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
OnAudiooo,

I always use these on everything. I've seen prices for $1 up to $15 and there is not much difference in quality. But do look at the Amps rating. You want to buy the filter that has the LOWEST rating but can still handle the expected current. In other words do NOT "over spec" these. Why? The smaller rated filters better attenuate the noise. Just read the specs.

BTW I salvage these from old CRT computer monitors. Lots of good parts in the larger size monitors and these are now "toxic waste" so they are easy to get.

Hide this!Advertise here!