Power Supply Resevoir Size - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2012, 09:57 AM   #441
Banned

there is a scheme with 5000uF before the C multiplier, 1000uF after and 2x 500uF in the circuit, put all C together make 7000uF, throw away the circuit and the amp will work properly and better,
Old 9th August 2012, 10:11 AM   #442
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by liching1952 View Post
No profesional will do this.
Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

(for an MSc, teaching at university, your written English is appalling bad)
Old 9th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #443
diyAudio Member

Liching, a Constant Voltage Transformer is a form of ferroresonant voltage regulator. Transformer & Inductor Design Handbook (1,2,3rd ed) by McLyman has a decent description & design procedure. its an old technology, and I dont think its been mentioned in a textbook for 30+ years. they really do maintain a constant output voltage for varying input voltage and load.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:19 AM   #444
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

(for an MSc, teaching at university, your written English is appalling bad)
English is not my mothers tonque. How is your German? Of zullen wij het verder in het Nederlands doen?
Old 9th August 2012, 10:26 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Andrew, yeah, hence my earlier comment about a unity power factor boost regulator. Its quite possible to make one of them 97% efficient (the best I've seen to date is 99.3%) and at these low voltages it should be fairly easy* to get going (* yeah right)

for the truly brave I'd suggest an offline PFC flyback with dual outputs. not easy to design, and ever so slightly lethal to debug. there is also the minor issue of EMI. at 100W the input EMI filter needs on the order of 80dB attenuation at 150kHz. and then there's the regulatory hurdles....*sigh*.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:27 AM   #446
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You could check my written skills at German at the analog-forum.de, or ask some German members here just how well I do verbally.
(I suck at Dutch)

At this "serious forum", folks will not take you very serious, if you continue to write in chicken English.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:31 AM   #447
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Given View Post
Liching, a Constant Voltage Transformer is a form of ferroresonant voltage regulator. Transformer & Inductor Design Handbook (1,2,3rd ed) by McLyman has a decent description & design procedure. its an old technology, and I dont think its been mentioned in a textbook for 30+ years. they really do maintain a constant output voltage for varying input voltage and load.
I know this, it uses a leaking transformer resulting a serial inductance. Its the same as an inductance between rectifier and cap filtering out the ripple. However the voltage is lower and thus gives lower amp performance
Old 9th August 2012, 10:36 AM   #448
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
You could check my written skills at German at the analog-forum.de, or ask some German members here just how well I do verbally.
(I suck at Dutch)

At this "serious forum", folks will not take you very serious, if you continue to write in chicken English.
Its up to you to take me serious or not. As a matter of fact most Swiss citizen doesnt take Dutch serious met hun grote mond.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:49 AM   #449
Banned

question, why are you people so demanding of a stable voltage? In a good Amp design supply variations is not transmitted to the speaker.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:57 AM   #450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liching1952 View Post
I know this, it uses a leaking transformer resulting a serial inductance. Its the same as an inductance between rectifier and cap filtering out the ripple. However the voltage is lower and thus gives lower amp performance
sort of, but you left out the saturating portion (which is the important part). it can be modelled as an LC filter followed by a saturable transformer. and whilst off-topic, it follows from the constant-droop saturable inductor I proposed earlier.

alternatively the leakage inductance could be cancelled out by series-resonance.

none of these are really serious solutions (although I imagine they would look kinda neat, and could probably be used to extract cash from audiophools). obviously a better approach is to use a very low leakage transformer, size the cap bank appropriately and use a decent layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!