Power Supply Resevoir Size - Page 168 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2012, 02:12 AM   #1671
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
OK, well, at least it has other meanings, too: Google
Yes, you've got it ... in this part of the world a maiden aunt wouldn't hesistate to use the term, meaning yourself or whatever is somewhat out of sorts, run down, lacking in zip or just plain faulty ...

Frank
Old 17th December 2012, 03:11 AM   #1672
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Yes, you've got it ... in this part of the world a maiden aunt wouldn't hesistate to use the term, meaning yourself or whatever is somewhat out of sorts, run down, lacking in zip or just plain faulty ...

Frank
I know. Sorry. I was just giving you a hard time, er, I mean just teasing, er, I mean... <grin>
Old 17th December 2012, 07:46 AM   #1673
alayn91 is offline alayn91  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Really good job

Any picture of your W&G NA ?

Last edited by alayn91; 17th December 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:45 PM   #1674
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
Wandel & Goltermann SNA-2, built around 1989, absolute mint condition (looks like new, really) with all documentation, only self-calibration of absolute level fails by a dB occasionally which is rather unimportant. It is said to be one of the best network/spectrum analysers of that time but having been very high $ products W&G never made it against the fierce competition from HP on the worldwide market, and sadly stopped production of their range of analysers end of the nineties....
I would vote for Hewlett Packard HP8510 as the best network analyser of the time and long beyond though. Maybe because I worked for them I am biased, but we were taught to give the competition their due if there was competition.

Last edited by Nico Ras; 17th December 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 17th December 2012, 01:11 PM   #1675
diyAudio Member

Smile hope it the second one.

Quote:
Yeah. It's probably already there, unless I missed something. (Well, it is still only geared to the worst-case load. But it can probably be fooled into doing whatever you want.)

I think that you made a very good point, Frank, which is another one of the reasons I had for pursuing the development of the spreadsheet, and that is that most people just don't want to tackle LT-Spice, especially at the drop of a hat, or for just one seldom-used app (and most never will). But a fill-in-the-blanks Excel sheet is a whole different story; much easier to imagine using, for the non-Spicy people. And many people already have Excel installed.

P.S. Buggeredness? I didn't know you were into THAT. <grin> See: Google

OK, well, at least it has other meanings, too: Google
I vote for the second on in this context .
Old 17th December 2012, 09:28 PM   #1676
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nico, HP8510 sure is a jewel, but, err, would be "slightly" oversized in all regards, for audio-related work, wouldn't it?
Personally, I've been searching for HP3577's which would have been my prime choice, but now I was able to get that SNA-2 for a bargain price that made it very attractive and it does all that I'll ever need...

Last edited by KSTR; 17th December 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 17th December 2012, 09:59 PM   #1677
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't mind having an Agilent 4395A.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:30 PM   #1678
diyAudio Member

I see many examples of the HP3577 on Ebay. There is both a model A and B that I see. Is there any reason for one over the other in audio analysis? I see prices from a little over a $1000 to many thousands. I know of a surplus electronics store here in California that should have these units, they buy them in lots and sell fairly cheaply if you know what you are looking for.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:05 PM   #1679
alayn91 is offline alayn91  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

If I can remember, the B model adds discrete sweeps & limit lines & optional internal instrument Basic to the A model.

Regards.
Old 20th December 2012, 04:23 PM   #1680
diyAudio Member

For the love of an art a man will venture forth.

Quote:
I found an easy way to add a MEASURE function to the plot! So decided I should post the new version.

Now, you can do a mouse-drag on the plot and MEASURE things, like amplitude and time interval. You can zoom-in, first, as much as you want.

A message box pops up, after you release the mouse button, and gives the ymax, ymin, Delta y, xmax, xmin, and Delta X, for the rectangle you made with the mouse, which can be anywhere in the plot area.

It seems quite useful!

I also found the real name of the author of the original plot-zoom code, Jason Vint, and included it in the header, in the code itself.

I also found his zoom-module code for Excel 2000-2003. So I will try posting a special version, for that, a little later, so that maybe the folks with Excel 2003 can have the mouse-zoom capabilities. The 2007 version (v0.992) is attached, in a zipped folder. A screen image is also attached. Notice the new MEASURE button, just above the plot.

Cheers,

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!