Power Supply Resevoir Size - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #1591
diyAudio Member

1. It is mandatory to filter power coming into transformer
2. Use appropriately sized transformer
3. Use a regular bridge rectifier
4. Use an array of parallel caps for main reservoir to slow down the main reservoirs transient response. (We do not want this part of the PSU responding to transients)
5. Use bleeders, fuses etc for safety during servicing, thermistors for slow start if needed etc
6. Use decoupling caps to ensure that the transient slows down before getting to main reservoir
7. If there is chance of noise coming in via a sibling winding, take care of it
8. If PSU unit is on the same board as load circuit. Use a filter between main reservoir and decoupling caps
Circuit to follow,
.........Tom hope this helps
Old 10th November 2012, 02:12 AM   #1592
diyAudio Member

Looking at this model it becomes easy to see why the pi filter is there on many of the PSU PCBs on diyaudio. And also why there are those that sweat multiple paralleled caps (apart from cost savings, the issue is, how slow should one make the reservoir bank ?).
Attached Images
File Type: png ps_sample.png (27.0 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by OnAudio; 10th November 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:20 AM   #1593
diyAudio Member

....transitivity of model
For a switch mode power supply, you will use a high speed rectifier, but the reservoir bank needs to be protected against transients also.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:04 AM   #1594
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppstefano View Post
................I asked because I seem to remember a drawing by mike on another thread sharing the opportunity of placing a resistor between Power and Main Audio grounds,..............
Quote:
.............- to post 2941.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I still don't know what you are talking about.
I see reference to 100r and 100 ohm.
Quote:
..........of course 100,................. I'm anyway referring of - that - resistor between the two grounds. Is this relevant to what you were stating about the two grounds, or am I barking at the wrong tree?.................
Quote:
Are you now referring to post1575? There is a 100r there.
Quote:
I'm keeping referring to
post 1575 of this thread (my post) and
post 2941 of

Simple Symetrical Amplifier .............
the posts seem to me to be referring to different locations for different resistors.

Leach and others show the Signal Ground connected to the Power Ground, but they add a resistor in this link to reduce the effect of a current loop where the Signal Ground has a second connection via the Main Audio Ground to the PSU Zero Volts.
That resistor between SG and PG in the amplifier PCB is for current attenuation in the loop.

Here is the phrase I think you are referring to
Quote:
The new feature is the 100R resistor between the full earth of the casing and the star ground of the amp - got this from a TI application note that Sonny gave out in his TSSA implementation.
That resistor is clearly stated as being in the Main Audio Ground to Chassis connection.
I think you are confused.
No wonder we have been around the track 5times for a 100m jog.
You have been wasting my time and extending this Thread with unnecessary posts.

I don't know the SSA, nor the TSSA and certainly cannot remember precise layouts nor component locations.
In future give a precise link that takes one directly to the item you want to talk about ! And learn how to copy a link location !

Last edited by AndrewT; 10th November 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:16 AM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post

1. It is mandatory to filter power coming into transformer
2. Use appropriately sized transformer
3. Use a regular bridge rectifier
4. Use an array of parallel caps for main reservoir to slow down the main reservoirs transient response. (We do not want this part of the PSU responding to transients)
5. Use bleeders, fuses etc for safety during servicing, thermistors for slow start if needed etc
6. Use decoupling caps to ensure that the transient slows down before getting to main reservoir
7. If there is chance of noise coming in via a sibling winding, take care of it
8. If PSU unit is on the same board as load circuit. Use a filter between main reservoir and decoupling caps
Circuit to follow,
.........Tom hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Looking at this model it becomes easy to see why the pi filter is there on many of the PSU PCBs on diyaudio. And also why there are those that sweat multiple paralleled caps (apart from cost savings, the issue is, how slow should one make the reservoir bank ?).
Some good advice and good observations mixed in with complete coddswallop.
1. mandatory?
3. other rectifiers?
4. slow down the main reservoirs transient response?
. We do not want this part of the PSU responding to transients?
6. Use decoupling caps to ensure that the transient slows down?
8. Use a filter between main reservoir and decoupling?

Does anyone agree with "every" suggestion of OnAudio?
Old 10th November 2012, 11:08 AM   #1596
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT
Some good advice and good observations mixed in with complete coddswallop.
Yes.

1. No, but sometimes it may be helpful.
2. Yes, but fairly obvious.
3. What is an irregular bridge rectifier? If you meant "don't bother with Schottky/soft turnoff etc." then say so.
4. No. An array of parallel caps could be 'faster' or 'slower' than a single cap, as it depends on the inductance. I can't see how 'faster' might be problem.
5. Yes.
6. Yes, if you are saying that decoupling needs to be properly done, near the point where the transient is developed.
7. Yes, although the term 'sibling winding' may be unclear. Rectifier spikes can hop from one secondary to another.
8. What sort of filter? A low value resistor might be sufficient.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #1597
diyAudio Member

DF,
you have two No and six conditional statements doubting the accuracy of what On stated.

I would interpret that as
No , not yes to the question
Quote:
Does anyone agree with "every" suggestion of OnAudio?
Or do your mean "yes" there is someone that does agree among our hundred thousand Members?
Old 10th November 2012, 12:29 PM   #1598
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I said 'yes' to your statement (which I quoted) that there was a mix of good advice and coddswallop.

I make no reply to your question whether anyone agrees with every suggestion, as I have no way of knowing the answer to that.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:39 PM   #1599
diyAudio Member

Sorry,
I asked one question, but misread your "yes" as a reply to that question, rather than an agreement to the quoted text.
Old 10th November 2012, 03:02 PM   #1600
diyAudio Member

AndrewT,

Quote:
the posts seem to me to be referring to different locations for different resistors.
No. Two posts for same subject about proper grounding in order to lower noise floor. Mikelm is the author of the drawing on paper, then adopted by LazyCat.

Quote:
I think you are confused.
You can think what you like.

Quote:
No wonder we have been around the track 5times for a 100m jog.
You have been wasting my time and extending this Thread with unnecessary posts.
You decided to answer and/or, viceversa, the same time issue is valid for me.

Quote:
I don't know the SSA, nor the TSSA and certainly cannot remember precise layouts nor component locations.
So?

Quote:
In future give a precise link that takes one directly to the item you want to talk about ! And learn how to copy a link location !
I gave and I keep getting correct locations. It seems that you only are having this problem. But don't worry, in future we are NOT talking at all. You're too expert, right and wise for me. And even Ott is a lucky men to "follow" your advices (29 years ago). BTW, for just a moment I wondered how was that you didn't know of 1983 Ott's article when even a newbye like me (EE, anyway) was taught about it on diyaudio... ahh, I see, perhaps because it was in a SSA/TSSA thread...

EOF (End-of-file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it means End Of File, should you keep being unable to read links )

Hide this!Advertise here!