Power Supply Resevoir Size - Page 117 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 08:42 PM   #1161
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You won't find many textbooks in the fiction section.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #1162
diyAudio Member

How about a book on alternative technology in the scifi section
Old 14th September 2012, 10:53 PM   #1163
diyAudio Member

Harrison,
Curious mind want to know. I do see ideas from Star Trek, so we all know that sometimes an idea is just before its time....

And that reminds me I have to complete a paper on advanced composites for a seminar speech I signed on to give.

Steven
Old 14th September 2012, 11:04 PM   #1164
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Fun stuff about parallel caps
How does each parallel cap see 8 Ohms when there is only a 4-Ohm load?? Impossible. If they are paralleled across 4 Ohms then they each see 4 Ohms.

But it SHOULD be about what the 4 Ohms sees. If the caps are the same as the original, it sees about twice the capacitance, about half as much inductance (ESL), and about half as much ESR. EVERYTHING is improved.

If the two parallel caps are each half the value of the original, then the capacitance stays about the same as the original but the ESL and ESR are probably less than half as much as with one cap, because the caps are smaller and can be placed closer and their connections and lead spacings could be shorter. HF behavior is improved.

Of course, for decoupling, the caps wouldn't usually be right across the load. They'd be from a power rail to the load ground, typically.

But if it was a trick question, then "out with it"!

Last edited by gootee; 14th September 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:13 PM   #1165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
How does each parallel cap see 8 Ohms when there is only a 4-Ohm load?? Impossible. If they are paralleled across 4 Ohms then they each see 4 Ohms.

But it SHOULD be about what the 4 Ohms sees. If the caps are the same as the original, it sees about twice the capacitance, about half as much inductance (ESL), and about half as much ESR. EVERYTHING is improved.

If the two parallel caps are each half the value of the original, then the capacitance stays about the same as the original but the ESL and ESR are probably less than half as much as with one cap, because the caps are smaller and can be placed closer and their connections and lead spacings could be shorter. HF behavior is improved.

Of course, for decoupling, the caps wouldn't usually be right across the load. They'd be from a power rail to the load ground, typically.
Hehe, I knew that would tickle you. Using I = V/R. Assuming the load is 4 ohms and the voltage is 4 volts. A single cap would release 1A. Now if there are two caps, each cap would release 0.5A . R = V/I = 8 Ohms
Old 14th September 2012, 11:16 PM   #1166
diyAudio Member

All the best. Enjoy the space ship building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Harrison,
Curious mind want to know. I do see ideas from Star Trek, so we all know that sometimes an idea is just before its time....

And that reminds me I have to complete a paper on advanced composites for a seminar speech I signed on to give.

Steven
Old 14th September 2012, 11:17 PM   #1167
diyAudio Member

gootee,
Is there some theoretical point where adding more capacitors becomes a problem? Do the multiple leads between capacitors end up adding some inductive or resistive problems at some point, or could you theoretically parallel hundreds of small value caps?

Steven

OnAudio,
Just trying to teach engineers how to build better aerospace and automotive parts faster and cheaper. Spaceships would be more fun. but my dylithium crystal are on back order.

Last edited by Kindhornman; 14th September 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:34 PM   #1168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but my dylithium crystal are on back order.
Will send you my shipping address, needed some of that
Old 15th September 2012, 01:42 AM   #1169
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
gootee,
Is there some theoretical point where adding more capacitors becomes a problem? Do the multiple leads between capacitors end up adding some inductive or resistive problems at some point, or could you theoretically parallel hundreds of small value caps?
Walt Jung in his 1980 Audio magazine article "Build an Energy Storage Bank" mentioned this, he said at some point adding more capacitance, the lead inductance becomes significant to affect the results....i do hope he chimes in in this discussions...
Old 15th September 2012, 03:31 AM   #1170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do the multiple leads between capacitors end up adding some inductive or resistive problems at some point, or could you theoretically parallel hundreds of small value caps?
Sure fire recipe for very dull audio. With massive paralleling, there seems to be some treble killing gyrations going on. That's worse than a choke. It is about as bad as my SD669 capmulti. Oh fail! But I learned that any possible audio processor effects can be installed at the power circuit because whatever you do to the power circuit also affects the output. If on purpose, there's a powerful tool, but powerfully vexing if done by accident.
P.S.
A more customary spot to find the tone control feature is at the amp board's power cap sizes--bigger for more laid back (possibly duller) -or- smaller for more forward (possibly clearer). It isn't entirely a case of no free lunch. An even balance plus extra good noise filtering can get you a combination of both laid back and clearer but at the cost of more time investment.
P.P.S.
Your massively paralleled example is not problematic if the predrive is run on regulators. Well, that's the orthodox fix. I have a cheaper method, at post 1115.

Hide this!Advertise here!