DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2012, 05:59 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
by front right I mean looking at it from the rear, looking at the front side its the left, seems pretty directly connected to the power earth point
Do you mean the one adjacent R3 & R5?
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:09 AM   #52
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the corner next to R3, I read from Roberto that the point for power ground will be 30mR away at AC, but at DC same potential as the rest of the ground plane. since we are talking about AC return currents here from the speakers, it would seem better to use that PE point, but its got a hole that only fits 16awg solid vs. the 12awg solid that the output ground takes. so it seems to me for high power there is a trade off and the corner is the closest point to connect a large conductor.

a white line normally signifies a jumper, so it looks as if the option to connect these points was built into the PCB, but that for one reason or another they chose not to use it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:36 AM   #53
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Hi,
If we look at the PCB layers, at bottom of power gnd, gnd the layer that connects the output connector is 1cm thick, plus links to other reinforcement. you can put at bottom of the PCB, a PIN, 1.5 mm. and can also at bottom near power gnd pad, there are 3 pads, each with a 2mm hole, or solder jumpers (use solid wire 1.5 mm) and take the gnd, like you said, the pad at corner R3-R5. perhaps this is the most simple and clean. obvious that the gnd is already great, but when the current peak on load is high, things are not as they seem.

Kv3audio:
Yes, shortcut very well plus other protections.
One special is in case regulator fault, dps-600 break after 1 sec.
if connect resistor to + and - as load, smps running but in this smps not have sense this test. i explain before reason on this. (differential FB).
this SMPS, responds quickly to the demands of current, on one side at a time, as amplifier work. (opc measures), you can see the rail vcc behavior, with power signal 10Khz on amplifier.

Last edited by AP2; 23rd July 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:56 AM   #54
Banned

Ops..Correct diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: png DPS-600-assemble-info.png (22.0 KB, 343 views)
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:34 AM   #55
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks for the updated diagram Roberto, so its as I thought.

about AC ground, how about the large tinned rectangular pad under the PCB under the power unit? this seems ideal. I think I will use a chunky jumper from there (3-4 layers of 16awg silver foil, actually its more like flat wire than foil) and/or those 3 holes (although I dont really like soldering things from 'on top' of a hole) and put a ring terminal on the corner, then screw another ring terminal from there for the speaker return.

I may even use all 4 connected with ring terminals to the corner for reinforcement. I believe return conductors should be at least as big, preferably bigger than the signal conductor.

I really appreciate you posting the basic PCB layout mate, truly good form!
Old 25th July 2012, 11:00 PM   #56
Banned

Hi,
Update GB:

collected by ups ,some delivered:
Lolo;Qusp;hochopeper,johnwallis,QRikard;BuildMeSom ething;Igor;Emphrygian;Kiwi;NicMac

Delay for caps 1206: arthur;
Distrelec sended 75 instead 100; rest arrive tomorrow.
just a pair of days.

regards
Old 27th July 2012, 11:07 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Nuts & Bolts

Just a quick note on machine screw sizing for mounting the dps-600 onto a base; got some countersunk M4 8mm screws for use with a 3mm thick base, they're adequate but would recommend 10mm for 3mm depth base and 12mm with a 5mm base.

Paul.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:22 AM   #58
Banned

Hi,
Thanks Paul, I wait to send the last 4 SMPS. so I complete other doc, which include the mechanical assembly. yes, the heatsink has a thickness of 8mm (for use 7mm screw) + thickness of the aluminum base (if 3mm), 10mm is perfect.

Last edited by AP2; 27th July 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 15th August 2012, 07:10 AM   #59
kiwik is offline kiwik  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Just to be sure i will not make any stupid mistakes with startup, please see if this is correct:
1. Safety earth pad on DPS must be connected to output ground
2. For testing there must be load approx 150ohms at least on one output (-V to ground or +V to ground)
3. It is recommended to mount DPS vertically
4. Speaker GND must be connected to DPS ground, not amp ground
Old 15th August 2012, 10:54 AM   #60
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
Just to be sure i will not make any stupid mistakes with startup, please see if this is correct:
1. Safety earth pad on DPS must be connected to output ground
2. For testing there must be load approx 150ohms at least on one output (-V to ground or +V to ground)
3. It is recommended to mount DPS vertically
4. Speaker GND must be connected to DPS ground, not amp ground
Hi Kiwik,
In general, as you said is correct. 180R resistor you can put two (one on each side to gnd) this just to turn on the DPS-600 and measure the voltage.
after that, if the wire is the first power amp, I recommend using two 22R resistors in series with the supply rails. This can help you adjust the bias and see if all is ok.
let me know how to go.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!