DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 09:26 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

My two units arrived 20 minutes before I left for work this afternoon, which gave me a good quarter of an hour to admire their splendor

Pretty certain that I'll use the Pesante Dissipante 4U 300 with the 3mm aluminium covers. My thoughts are to mount the dps-600's centrally [running front to back] with the Wire pcb's mounted one per side. Utilising an L bracket as a mount between the fets/heatsinks.

I'll start making a list of bits I need for testing & building, but it's going to be at least a month before I can make a start... I have a fixed cine-screen to buy first

Last edited by BuildMeSomething; 20th July 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 21st July 2012, 09:46 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Ahh... Just checked through the bag of bits that has been kindly supplied with the units, and am missing 1 terminal pin for the AC-in connector [eXcon 3961 3-pin housing]...

No big deal though, alternitive parts are; Molex Spox 3.96mm terminal pin - WM18821CT-ND [digikey code] & Molex Spox 3.96mm 3-pin housing - WM18814-ND

Everything else is present and correct, plus the units themselves look fantastic
Old 21st July 2012, 11:26 AM   #33
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Hi, i have cecked well before close package but...happen, i'm sorry for this.

Last edited by AP2; 21st July 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 21st July 2012, 03:26 PM   #34
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Roberto, any comment on this mate? i'm in a very similar point of planning the layout and thus making the right length cables. in essence, does the power unit radiate more through the top or through the bottom? I would expect the top as the PCB will give some shielding. its critical for layout as I would like to get the dps600 as close as possible to the amp
Old 21st July 2012, 09:16 PM   #35
Banned

Hi,
I agree with the disposition of the pic hochopeper. in case of dual mono with this SMPS, the optimal arrangement, also very beautiful, is that advice in this pic. Some customers have closed with aluminum grid, the central block. (only for aesthetics more beautiful). I have included the electromagnetic radiation (simplified). As you see, is focused around the high voltage capacitors. the remaining parts of the DPS-600, are absolutely clean. 30mm can be fitted dsp or other circuits without problems. even if someone has different needs (as hochopeper example), can certainly take note from this diagram. This diagram was used for dual mono class D also. allows a new style, compact performances not obtainable in this small space. I still have many doubts that some diy really understand how important is psu, in an amplifier eheh.

P.S. Just my opinion, why not assemble LPUP in a separate small nice case? i know some very nice at low prices.
regards
Attached Images
File Type: png DPS-600-assemble-info.png (17.7 KB, 357 views)
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:51 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
P.S. Just my opinion, why not assemble LPUP in a separate small nice case? i know some very nice at low prices.
regards
because i'm making a multichanel dac and a multichannel amp, I dont want to be making multiple speaker cables, or multiple chassis, especially when my heatsinks and the resulting case are large enough to quite neatly have it all in one.

there is another reason we (hochopeper and I) are not making separate cases for the LPUHP. Its a long and arduous story; we had arranged for custom CNC chassis made to our design and we even purchased what we needed to get this to happen, but someone let us down and disappeared, so I guess we dont have the energy or desire to pay for it twice and it works out well to have them all together anyway.

I have some very nice ITT Cannon military connectors that will make excellent multicore speaker cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16Jan2012_0414.jpg (518.0 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg ITT Cannons in dress uniform small.jpg (331.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg cannons arrival.jpg (148.2 KB, 282 views)
Old 22nd July 2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Banned

Hi, yes, I've mentioned something about Mr. Invisible ahah!.
Connector I know well, I have a bit of nostalgia (old memories between RF transmitters and antennas) in the old military job.eheh well, from the diagram, you know the irradiated area and have your assembly, even in some other way. for the remote control is simple to use a switch with two poles, but it is also possible to control multiple SMPS with a 1-pole switch (drawing and show notes for that matter) might be of interest to Lolo
Old 22nd July 2012, 07:22 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

i'll probably look at getting some mesh for a cage too.

interesting speaker grounding connection suggestion, I was thinking about this too, but I dont like the idea of the positive connection being all alone. if I did it that way, I would try to position the boards so they were close and run the ground from the dps600 directly across to the amp output and twist it with the positive wire.

I know I asked you once before, but can you confirm the star ground point on the dps600 you refer to above? is it where the white line on the PCB is, or is it the middle of the 3 small standoffs under the heatsink? I have asked for clarification on a few things, noted on the image below in text
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPS-600-assemble-info.jpg (90.8 KB, 273 views)
Old 22nd July 2012, 07:27 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi, yes, I've mentioned something about Mr. Invisible ahah!.
Connector I know well, I have a bit of nostalgia (old memories between RF transmitters and antennas) in the old military job.eheh well, from the diagram, you know the irradiated area and have your assembly, even in some other way. for the remote control is simple to use a switch with two poles, but it is also possible to control multiple SMPS with a 1-pole switch (drawing and show notes for that matter) might be of interest to Lolo
aah yes thats right ive shown you them before.

We dont like to talk about Mr Invisible

yeah I will likely be using a remotely controlled relay, probably also controllable over wifi
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:37 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks Roberto for that drawing, clears a few things up in my mind. Raises a few questions, qusp has asked them all already above though so I won't repeat.

Mainly clarification about the safety earth and star ground connections was where my questions were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i'll probably look at getting some mesh for a cage too.
I was thinking about copper foil lined plastic/wooden cover for the smps, but I am honestly torn, it would mean I miss out on glimpses of these smps through the ventilation slots in the top of my chasis. Maybe just copper foil on 4 sides open at bottom for heat-sinking the smps and open at top for glimpses of these beauties! Tough choices.

Mr Invisible

PS. Forza Ferrari

Hide this!Advertise here!