DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 11:05 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Had a good think about this and am going to play safe and do a basic bias switch to help the dps-600's on start-up. Will have a fixed bias of 50mA on start-up then a switch to 400mA bias.

Will use the dps-600 stanby swich to activate the circuit and separate swich to bring up the bias. Putting the dps-600 into standby will deactivate the bias circuit, resetting it to 50mA on start up...

Will post a quick diagram latter to see if what I'm thinking of will work and that the additional bias circuit is correct...

Paul
Old 19th November 2012, 11:23 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

I am already working on exactly that

I have a schematic I am working on for the control side of things. Mostly it should work how it is, I am just adding things like front panel LED and rechecking a few bits and pieces before starting layout...

I have created a separate PCB that will be mounted straight on my bias trimmer position on the pcb. I've attached screenshot(s) of what that part looks like at the moment. It has two control lines and two separate SMT opto-isolated relays to allow for a summer/winter bias level setting. Can of course use just one of those and leave the 2nd unpopulated. The goal was to use low EMI opto-isolated relays and ensure that the bias current path is still as short as possible. Use NC relay contacts, open them after appropriate delay. That way if bias control circuit fails or is off for whatever reason, the amp will start with very low bias but still be 'working'.

When I'm done with a design I'll share details of what I'm doing and offer a short run of PCBs for DPS-600 + The Wire users.

It should be fairly easily adapted to other uses and leave out the bells and whistles that I've put in mostly for myself and may not be of interest to everyone.

At the moment the design includes pcb mount tx, 3.3V reg, automatically selecting summer/winter bias setting based on ambient, automatically setting the bias high after a turn on delay, temp sensors for each heatsink, mute control ...

It has inputs for momentary and tactile switches and circuit for latching/toggling these, rather than 'normal' switches because I'm vain and like a nice switch.

I put a 'block diagram' on the last few pages of all of the extra stuff I'm wanting to do, the point is that if there's something missing from that list that you'd like to be able to do then speak up now and I'll try to incorporate it in the pcb design I'm already working on

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 19:11:12 10:13 PM.png (12.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 19:11:12 10:26 PM.png (11.0 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by hochopeper; 19th November 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:12 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Very nice, I've read through the block diagram and thought there's no way I could implement something like that, though a lot of the features are quite desirable. Certainly be intresting to see how you and qusp get on with incorporating these contols...

The bias circuit I've penned is simmiler to yours, but with a SPDT relay, a momentery switch as a trigger and the circuits power turned on/off via the dps-600's standby switch... I'll have to find a circuit design program to generate a proper diagram rather than a few hand drawn squiggles.

AND... A big thank you to AP2 for suppling the few bits I managed to break on my dps-600's. Hopfully I can get everything up and running again, and back on track
Old 19th November 2012, 11:18 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

One thing I hadn't realised before I started digging deeper is this, the DPS600 Enable pin is set after 250ms, which is before the PSU is fully stable. This means that you can't use it to trigger the bias setting delay time. I've got a 555 timer adding an extra delay in my design at the moment. Though you could of course just manually trigger that delay time by hand, but that isn't foolproof enough for my liking (my amp needs to sit in the main lounge room and be totally foolproof for rest of the family ...)
Old 21st November 2012, 08:18 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

I can understand the need to foolproof things for when family is around. I'll look how things go and if I'm feeling ambitious I'll try following in your footsteps

My basic bias control diagram.... hoping it'll work!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bias circuit.JPG (33.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 27th November 2012, 11:55 AM   #136
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildMeSomething View Post
Very nice, I've read through the block diagram and thought there's no way I could implement something like that, though a lot of the features are quite desirable. Certainly be intresting to see how you and qusp get on with incorporating these contols...

The bias circuit I've penned is simmiler to yours, but with a SPDT relay, a momentery switch as a trigger and the circuits power turned on/off via the dps-600's standby switch... I'll have to find a circuit design program to generate a proper diagram rather than a few hand drawn squiggles.

AND... A big thank you to AP2 for suppling the few bits I managed to break on my dps-600's. Hopfully I can get everything up and running again, and back on track
Thank's,
Please, ups notify me, 2nd attempt failed, rest last(one) for deliver the package.

regards
Old 27th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Have organised to collect it in person tomorrow. I was in when the first delivery attempt was made, the driver ignored me on the intercom & had gone by the time I'd made my way down from my apartment

The Wire amps are both working, so it'll be good to get the dps-600's in the same state. Lessons learned I hope
Old 28th November 2012, 11:16 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Default Tank You!!!

Parcel collected... Cheers Roberto, I like the surprise extras you sent. Thank you!
Old 28th November 2012, 11:57 AM   #139
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildMeSomething View Post
Parcel collected... Cheers Roberto, I like the surprise extras you sent. Thank you!
Well, now i hope you replace well mosfet.
you have to slightly bend the pins of the MOSFET (like the one fitted) and changes the new clip also.
..I hope you're not wrong mount model (as I have sent 2 +2 pairs).
... one pair is for the PWM power stage.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

It's ok, I know which one needs to be mounted. Going to do the work on Saturday when I have plenty of time

Hoping to get a chassis very early in the new year, something with huge heatsinks so I can use it to heat my spare room

Hide this!Advertise here!