DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2012, 10:01 AM   #91
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Hi,
I saw good your drawings are correct. for the solid side of the relay, can not produce that "tick" or other noise when it changes state, because the circuit is already under bias current.
regarding the side of logic gates, it is best to test the outcome.

Honestly, I am opposed to the classic capacitor that is present in almost all of the amp's, right in the bias circuit (connected between high side and low side),especially if large capacity.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:46 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi,
I saw good your drawings are correct. for the solid side of the relay, can not produce that "tick" or other noise when it changes state, because the circuit is already under bias current.
regarding the side of logic gates, it is best to test the outcome.

Honestly, I am opposed to the classic capacitor that is present in almost all of the amp's, right in the bias circuit (connected between high side and low side),especially if large capacity.

Thanks again!

I have sorted out the remainder of the logic side design and qusp and I have talked it through over the weekend. I will try to build a prototype on a breadboard in the next week or two and test it with an 8ch logic analyser to ensure that all of the different scenarios check out and timing is correct. After that we'll get a prototype pcbs made.

Once I know it works at least from timing and logic perspective I will put a write up in here about that part.

Regarding the capacitor in parallel, Owen's build recommend to not populate that position on the pcb. On the bias adjust side, I was only worried about using something to stop transients in the switching period. I might just leave positions for it on the pcb and can populate them if they are required based on testing.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by hochopeper; 30th October 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 4th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Noooo!!!

Not having much luck at the moment.

My second dps-600 has stopped working. Had the amp running for over an hour this morning. Set everything up again this evening to investgate the start-up noise.

I had been using 22Ohm resistors in series with the +/- 45V rails, but omitted them this time. Bias was set to 400mA. DMM connected to monitor.

1st, checked all wiring to make sure it was ok. Disconnected the O2 and turned on the dps-600. Everything ok, no start-up noise & slight LF oscillation noise on shut-down. DMM showed 400mA bias.

2nd, reconnected the O2 and turned on the dps-600. Same start up noise as this morning but after roughly 6 seconds the dps unit shut down with both green LEDs blinking on & off...

Turned everything off and disconnected everything, turned the dps on & both LEDs blink & unit fails to start... What have I managed to break this time?
Old 4th November 2012, 10:17 PM   #94
Banned

How help you without photo or scheme of your connections? seem you have noise loop, is not simple i understand a reason. i know dps-600 have very low emission in all, no problem even with dsp very near. well.. switch on dps-600 without load, and see well led on small module. blink immediate from start? or running for one sec. and after blink?
Old 4th November 2012, 10:28 PM   #95
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yes, pics please and also how are the meters hooked up to measure current?
Old 5th November 2012, 09:54 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'll post a picture in a couple of hours so you can see the exact setup.

Switching on the dps-600 without a load, the LED on the small module runs for one second then starts blinking.

The DMM is connected in series with the positive rail on the power section.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:35 AM   #97
Banned

ah .. well! This is a special extra protection in the event fails the power regulator, just not to damage the amp, or other devices associated with the DPS-600.
I honestly do not understand how it can happen.
If you are able to replace the one mosfet smps, I can send, or you buy it, and I will refund.
looks like you have some damaging loop. in this case it is preferable that lowers the bias current, just to investigate the noise.
have replaced the res-fuse on the first smps?
Old 5th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

I'm happy to get any parts needed. Not replaced the res-fuse yet, will place an order with digi-key this week for all the parts needed and maybe a few spares

There's no doubt here, this will be something I've done or failed to do... run out of time before going to work. I'll post a few pics this evening.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #99
Banned

Maybe he can clarify some things.
Since every smps, has a sheet of the final test, these are some features that I recorded before shipping.
230Vac: resistive load (one per side, to gnd) 2x375mA at DC-output.
at switch-on (main switch), startup duration is very short (500ms duration), so it seems immediate, the green LED.
Since I know very well this smps, the load ran for 30min. in the end, I read a delta temperature of 20 (without add heatsink).
Now, I do not understand, the noise during the startup sequence, given that very little time. I'm missing something? perhaps LME voltage has a superior absorption? or have big capacitors on LME? this can slow down the startup sequence). other than that it does not make sense to put a large capacity, on the output of the regulator.
expect a few more turns on this smps with wire-amp,... I hope better than "BuildMeSomething"
Note: this project started for military use (i have some photos,mybe can send in private), then,if all mosfet blow, fault remaining only on mosfet. (the fault does not affect other parts).
Special protection include the monitoring of output dc voltage.
RFI test, produces the best low radiation possible in smps,consider it is without iron frame.

Of course anything can happen, even a wrong component from production. I do not want to say that this smps is the best in the world but it certainly is not a smps for lamps as others.

Last edited by AP2; 5th November 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #100
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

AP2, the start up noise has nothing to do with 'the wire', or the DPS600, it is to do with 2 things

1. the amp he is using for preamp for testing is a battery powered headphone amp called the O2; it uses a virtual ground, as BMS is using the single ended input version of 'the wire' if he turns on the poweramp first before the O2 is on and stable, the input is effectively floating, so free to pick up any noise until the ground reference is stablised after turn on.
2. he is turning the poweramp on first in the sequence, not 'preamp/source first as is normal procedure.

Hide this!Advertise here!