Anyone here understand volt-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I hate to admit it, but it’s something I don’t have a firm grasp of. I bought a 2.1 Yuanjing amp kit. I think it’s 28 X 2 and 68 X 1. I want to use a toroidal transformer for power.

I don’t have much info on the amp, I want to use the right transformer. I would like at least 26 volts, that's the max the amp is rated for.
Here’s the amp Yuanjing

:joker:

If you need 28VDC you need a transformer that delivers about 30VDC peak because you lose about 2V in the rectifiers.
30V peak is about 30*0.707 RMS which is about 21VRMS. Standard transformers are avialable for 20V or 21V sec which would both be OK.
Does the amp include rectifiers and reservoir capacitors on the board?
I guess it needs pos and neg 28VDC so you need a transformer with 2 sec windings or a center tapped 20V-0-20V secondary.
BTW This amp uses what is known as a 'chip amp' and there are many threads here about chipamps which includes supply designs and even PCBs.

Whats that '68V-1' thing?

jan didden

Right behind the capacitors is a 25 amp bridge rectifier. The 26 volts comes from where the A/C goes in. I don’t know what the 68v-1 thing is that you speak of.
So the input voltage multiplied by the A/C RMS value will give me the true input voltage? What about the current needed?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well you mentioned '68 X 1', just curious.

Assuming this is an amp for an 8 ohms load, which is about 35-50W per channel, a 200VA transformer would be adequate.
Does the board have connections for 2 sec windings or for a center tapped sec winding?
Do you have a schematic?

Edit: the board looks like it has 2 chipamps for L and R plus a bridged pair of chipamps for a (sub)woofer?

jan

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Like Jan I too see 3 outputs on the PCB. L, R and Bass.

Without much more info and/or a detailed photo of it all we are guessing. Maybe if you could post a picture of the other end of the amp showing the transformer connections etc.

When you say the amp is rated for "26 volts max" where has that info come from as it doesn't mean anything as such ?

More helpful info would be the device numbers of the 4 power IC's and the type number of the 2 regulators ???? that look to be screwed to to small heatsinks. Also the voltage rating of the 6 large caps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    172 KB · Views: 82
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.