Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated Capacitance Multiplier Supply Board

I have been using this supply for a few months now and it seems to work very well.

It is meant to be used with Class A Headphone amplifiers.

Simple LM317/LM337 preregulation and then 2 x 750 HFE 4A Darlington transistors in the cap multipliers.

Output will be around 2-2.5 volts less than what the LM317/LM337 preregulators output is set at, depending on current draw.

Not exactly advanced but it seems to get the job done.

EDIT : Shown is my second version, with a few more ground connections as well as a few other changes, otherwise it is the same as the one I have been using.
Attached Images
File Type: png RCMSB_Schematic.png (51.0 KB, 416 views)
File Type: png RCMSB_Gerber.png (81.0 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by Neutrality; 7th July 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

hi
Does it matter which darlington to use in the cap multiplier?
thks

kp93300
Old 10th July 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice arial design.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Swapping the order of the regulators and cap multipliers will improve the low/medium frequency output impedance, and leave the ripple rejection unchanged.
Old 11th July 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
Swapping the order of the regulators and cap multipliers will improve the low/medium frequency output impedance, and leave the ripple rejection unchanged.
I built this for supplying pure Class A headphone amplifiers so a high and/or varying output impedance is not something I'm too worried about.

The way I have done it with the regulators first and the cap multipliers last helps reduce the noise from the regulators. With the cap multipliers before the regulators you would not get the same attenuation of regulator noise.

Sure it makes the supply more or less unusable for anything else than Class A but since Class A is what I like to design with for headphone duty it is a non issue.

But I see your point.
Old 12th July 2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
The way I have done it with the regulators first and the cap multipliers last helps reduce the noise from the regulators. With the cap multipliers before the regulators you would not get the same attenuation of regulator noise.
It does make sense in that particular context.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
... which makes sense assuming that the reg noise is larger than the cap multiplier noise. Is it?
BTW nice PCB design.

jan didden
Old 12th July 2012, 12:23 PM   #8
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why not just use a ground plane
Old 12th July 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
... which makes sense assuming that the reg noise is larger than the cap multiplier noise. Is it?
BTW nice PCB design.

jan didden
I'm just assuminmg that the cap multiplier nosie is less than the regulator noise.

I could be wrong(But I hope I'm not).
Old 12th July 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Why not just use a ground plane
With a groundplane you do not have as much control of where the currents flow in your ground as with a star ground arrangement.

With a star like arrangement like what I have used I can keep the nasty half-wave rectified current pulses from the rectifiers and the first caps before the regulators away from the regulator and cap multiplier ground. The rectifier and first cap currents are resolved locally and do not contaminate the other grounds.

You could do it even better with a separate ground for rectifiers and first caps, a second ground for the regulators and then a third ground for the cap multipliers.

Last edited by Neutrality; 12th July 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!