Regulated Capacitance Multiplier Supply Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using this supply for a few months now and it seems to work very well.

It is meant to be used with Class A Headphone amplifiers.

Simple LM317/LM337 preregulation and then 2 x 750 HFE 4A Darlington transistors in the cap multipliers.

Output will be around 2-2.5 volts less than what the LM317/LM337 preregulators output is set at, depending on current draw.

Not exactly advanced but it seems to get the job done.

EDIT : Shown is my second version, with a few more ground connections as well as a few other changes, otherwise it is the same as the one I have been using.

Attachments

• RCMSB_Schematic.png
    RCMSB_Schematic.png
    51 KB · Views: 758
  • RCMSB_Gerber.png
    RCMSB_Gerber.png
    81 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Swapping the order of the regulators and cap multipliers will improve the low/medium frequency output impedance, and leave the ripple rejection unchanged.

I built this for supplying pure Class A headphone amplifiers so a high and/or varying output impedance is not something I'm too worried about.

The way I have done it with the regulators first and the cap multipliers last helps reduce the noise from the regulators. With the cap multipliers before the regulators you would not get the same attenuation of regulator noise.

Sure it makes the supply more or less unusable for anything else than Class A but since Class A is what I like to design with for headphone duty it is a non issue.

But I see your point. :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The way I have done it with the regulators first and the cap multipliers last helps reduce the noise from the regulators. With the cap multipliers before the regulators you would not get the same attenuation of regulator noise.

... which makes sense assuming that the reg noise is larger than the cap multiplier noise. Is it?
BTW nice PCB design.

jan didden

Why not just use a ground plane

With a groundplane you do not have as much control of where the currents flow in your ground as with a star ground arrangement.

With a star like arrangement like what I have used I can keep the nasty half-wave rectified current pulses from the rectifiers and the first caps before the regulators away from the regulator and cap multiplier ground. The rectifier and first cap currents are resolved locally and do not contaminate the other grounds.

You could do it even better with a separate ground for rectifiers and first caps, a second ground for the regulators and then a third ground for the cap multipliers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.