Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2012, 12:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
Default Negative and positive regulated supply:same winding?

I have a 50 volt winding and need two adjustable neg 12.2vdc supplies and one regulated 6.3 vdc heater supply.
Can i be done and can you point me to where i can figure out how to do it
Please
Mick
Old 4th July 2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

A 50v Ac Supply will give you about 70v DC which is very problematic to regulate down to -12v or +6v , not even worth considering especially when you can get a 12v ac transformer or wallmart for next to nothing which would do the job .....

It"s also somewhat problematic to try to get both +/-DC from a single transformer winding , You could use a voltage doubler to get +/-DC from a single winding but you will be dealing with double the ripple in the PSU and would need to double up on the PSU Capacitance , not ideal for high current applications like heaters ......
Old 4th July 2012, 02:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
Thanks. I think I figured it out anyway. I have a centre tapped 30v transformer with a full bridge rectifier should give me ground positive and negative supplies (somehow) then two negative regulators for the Bias supply and run the heaters at 12.6 positive in series? (or parralell, i cant remember which) that should work, right?
Old 4th July 2012, 05:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

if it 30 volt ct then you get about 21 volt each way that easy to reg down to 12.6 + and - . for the heaters if you go a little low say 3 to 4 % it lessen the distortion a littlle . Don.t go more than 5 % low because it shortens tube life.

Hide this!Advertise here!