Relay between power supply and IV stage causes an audible click - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Relay between power supply and IV stage causes an audible click

Hi,

I'm using a relay between the power supply and the IV stage of my DAC. When switching off the entire dac the relay switches and closes. This rapidly closing of the relay causes a audible click through my pre-amp out of the speakers.

I have read a while ago about making a relay switch slower, but have no clue if this would help, lets stand how I can achieve this. Any suggestions about avoiding this clicks are welcome.

Another solution would be placing the relay in front of the power supply, but because there is hardly any room in front of the psb I wouldn't like to use it there.

Last edited by Corpius; 1st July 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 1st July 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you switching the supply voltage to the I/V?
Then it's a matter of switch-on pop.
Ideally you would first switch on the supply with the I/V output shorted with another relay, then relaease the I/V output a second later.

jan
Old 1st July 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes I am switching the supply voltage to the I/V. There is no switch-on plop only a switch-off plop. I have thought about using a relay at the IV output, but I didn't like the idea of a relay in the signal path. Maybe I should place the relay in front of the power supply. But I was hoping for a solution to kill the plop.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can just short the I/V output to ground. Not in the signal path.

jan
Old 6th July 2012, 01:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is there a reverse diode and filter cap in parallel with the relay coil? If not, when the relay coil is turned off, the collapsing magnetic field could generate a back EMF and cause a click noise.

1) If there is no cap and diode across the relay coil, add them and see if this helps.
2) You could do a little experiment and add something like a 10uF/25V cap in parallel with the relay coil to add a slight delay to the relay turning off. Try some different values to see if you get a time-delay that helps with, or eliminates the pop.
3) Jan's suggestion is a great one! You could rewire the relay to do that function.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."

Hide this!Advertise here!